AOI Pen port VS OM-D port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gummybun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am finding it difficult to understand the practical difference between these two port styles and why they co-exist. If i choose the OM-5 housing I would be in the OM-D port ecosystem but the lens selection charts are identical. Does the OM-D port system offer anything more? I can not find the actual maximum lens dimension (width) anywhere but I am assuming it must be more than the Pen port by reason of the reducing adapter. Can any one point me in the right direction?

I have a housing that uses the PEN port. My understand that some of the newer Olympus Pro series lens have an issue when using the PEN port and might even require removing the port to change lens. I have not tried any of the new Pro lens so I can’t confirm this might be an issue. The Olympus Pro series have a large diameter the non Pro in reading the specs.

The O-MD ports are larger in diameter, allowing the operator to use the larger diameter Pro series lenses without having to remove the port from the housing. AOI makes a step down attachment that allows you to use PEN ports also.

Thanks for your replies!, I had asked Backscatter but thought my question had slipped, of course they had not forgotten - thanks Cameron. They just got back to me and told me there is about a 1.5" increase in diameter. Now I understand the OM-D port is about 4". For me this makes much more sense than what I was first told (that they were almost the same) and so makes the new AOI product line viable. I am now thinking that it may be possible to use the Tokina 10-17 with the OM-D ports. I know that AggressorBlue was having trouble but this I think was due to having one of the housings with the Pen ports (?).

I think the reason for the OM-D ports was two-fold: the ability to use larger Pro lenses like the 12-40, and to have some backwards compatibility with the old 4/3 ports.

Back
Top Bottom