Anything with Sony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaX NeMo

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody use Sony's camera underwater? I don't seem to be able to find any thread about Sony here. Is there anything wrong with Sony? Just curious. Most are of Oly, Nikon and Canon.

Sony makes cameras?

lol...yes, there are sony users out there but Sony isn't at the head of the UW Photo market.

From what I see from my clients if you are purchasing a system from the ground up, skip Sony and head for Canon, Oly or Fuji in the so-called point & shoot category (non DSLRs). If you already have a Sony, you might like to grab one of their housings to get your feet wet so to speak. If it really grabs you, you'll probably eventually change systems...

Hmmm. that's interesting. I was just wondering. Yeah! One of the divers I met in Perhentian Island the other day told me that Sony don't have manual white balance and he won't get one without manual WB. And yet, another Hong Kong diver who just got his hands on a Sony W7 with uw housing had it leaked shortly after the opening ceremony. Sigh! I guess I will be going along with Oly as well.

Currently I am using a Snap Sights film camera that can be used underwater.

Hmm... yeah, my instructor is using a sony as well. Sony is easy to use, that's from my experience :wink:

I think all manufacturer's make cameras pretty easy to learn.

What you need to look for are the features you really want. Non-negotiable for me is full manual controls accessible in the housing.

Have a wander around the forum and you'll find lots of ideas on what features you will likely want in future.

I have a Sony P10 and have gotten some great shots with it (see my gallery for some examples). Granted its no DSLR, but then again I didn't have to sell a kidney to get it.

On the liveaboards I have done, I have seen more Sony cameras then any other brand. Your not going to be taking professional quality photos, but the cybershot series are nice all-around cameras.

I also have a Sony P10 that I got initially to take land shots, and then got the housing for u/w. I have had no problems with it and it makes for a nice point and shoot rig that is very compact. It IS limited in the manual features catagory(especially w/b) and tends to shoot toward the green side. Photoshop or a similliar edit tool is a must. I'm happy with the P10 as it is, but if I knew then what I know now...maybe Oly or Canon or ? I'll retire it to land when I decide.

Well, my first digicam is a Sony Cybershot DSC-U10, the super compact 1.3 megapixel camera. This stuff can come up with beautiful day shot but when night come, it's best kept hidden.

At first I plan of getting a Sony W7... But then, because of WB issue, I think I am better off with an Oly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom