anything in korea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a KFC, Dunkin Donuts, and 31 Flavors Ice Cream on every street corner (in Seoul, at least) so you don't have to worry about too much, although you may be surprised to find squid in your Pizza Hut pizza or kimchi in your Subway sandwich!

I love Korean food, but I've gotten food poisoning there twice, so be careful!

Chris

Congrats on your new assignment.

I've been in Korea for about 8 years now. Yes, there is diving over here (we even have a little club with a boat), but be advised, the diving is not 5 star and you need to be careful who you dive with.

Korea has a seperate organization called "korean underwater diving association-KUDA" and they are not recognized by anyone. Most Korean divers do it for the purpose of hunting. Their training is very poor, and their dive habits are on the verge of being extremely unsafe. Personally I rarely dive over here. I have this fear of being speared by my "dive buddy."

I make monthly trips to Thailand, Phillipines, etc... You can fly to any of these places (over your government 4-day weekends) for less than $350. A nice four day dive trip to Southeast Asia will run you about $600 for airfare, hotel, diving, and food (plus, if you're single, there are always "friends" to be made.

We're doing a 5 day trip to Cambodia this month (see my post in the travel section).

You can dive here, but be careful, get in touch when you get here and you can dive with us.

Netboy,

In response on where to dive in Korea, there is a diving club for US militaty members, DOD, and civilians located around Osan. The name is the American Scuba Club of Korea and they can be contacted at DSN 784-1048, (031) 661-1048 or by e-mail at HardROKdiving@yahoo.com. There is a Padi instructor involved if you need a class and there is rental equipment, a pool that was set up just for diving, boat, compressor, tanks and weights. Don't spend your whole tour chasing the juicy girls, there is actually some pretty decent diving if you know where to go. Hope this helps. I've been living in Korea for almost 12 years and have been diving with this club since 92.

JD

Hey there HardROKDiving,
Do I happen to know you? I saw the initials, are you Jonathan?

Anyway, I'm here in Osan as well, we probably know each other (if the name above doesn't fit). You can PM me with your details if you want, or just talk on the board.

I'm interested in your club. I met a taxi driver the other day who runs a shop down by city hall. I was a little misinformed in my message above about Korean divers, but I'm still very leery of them.

I'm off to Thailand again in 2 weeks, but tonight I'll be at the Voodoo (I'm the one in the Prada shoes, cuban cigar and a stupid grin).

Looking forward to hearing from you,
James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom