Anyone Using Oly housings with wet lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
If you are using wet lenses how are you attaching them to your housing?
I have a P:MA_EP01 which has a 67mm thread but it is useless as it floats around when not in use and can come loose when in use.
Also what wet lenses do you find useful to use with either 30 or 60 macro?

I have a P:MA_EP01 which has a 67mm thread but it is useless as it floats around when not in use and can come loose when in use.

I cannot tell about the original Oly housings, since I use Nauticam...

I can tell about macro lens and diopter: I find the Zuiko 60mm extremely useful for macro. Already alone it gives very high magnification. Most of the times I take the CMC-1 on a flip diopter (at 12 o'clock position, so it is not in the way of the flashes) with me in addition. I use the CMC-1 rarely, often the native magnification without wetlens is enough, but it is good to have it, just in case. See sample photos below:

Zuiko 60mm without diopter:
Lastovo_07_2020_65.jpg

Zuiko 60mm + CMC-1, same Flabellina few moments later, eating hydrozoon :
Lastovo_07_2020_67.jpg

Wolfgang

I find the Zuiko 60mm extremely useful for macro. Already alone it gives very high magnification.
One question... What's the default focus distance configuration in the lens body button (see image below) to shot in macro mode for underwater photography?

1559909022_IMG_1197724.jpg

I use one of these on a PT-EP13.

http://www.divervision.com/wet-lens...for-olympus-ppo-ep01-flat-port-RM67-120P.html

I've only had a few dives on it before covid, but it seems to work pretty well. It "clicks" into place either in front of the housing or out of the way. I don't have either of those macro lens (just the 12-50), so I'll let others comment on that.

One question... What's the default focus distance configuration in the lens body button (see image below) to shot in macro mode for underwater photography?

View attachment 631068

I use it adjusted to the entire range (0.19m to infinity). AF will be faster, when set to 0.19m - 0.4m, but when some exceptional fish or similar show up you will not be able to take a photo. AF speed depends on the camera model and is noticeable faster and better with EM1II (PDAF) vs. EM5II (CAF).
Here an example of a school of juvenile barracuda that showed up at the end of a dive this summer, when I had the rig configured for macro (60mm Zuiko and optional CMC-1), would have been impossible with setting to 0.19-0.4m. Of course IQ would have been much better, when I configured the rig for "fish portrait", what in my case is the Zuiko 12-40mm with Zen DP170 (N120 version), but I am glad I got some pictures, just for our memories:
Lastovo_07_2020_71.jpg

Wolfgang

View attachment 631068
Wolfgang is right. I have messed around with other settings and found them not very useful and so I suggest leave it on the default setting and the focus speed is fast enough not to have to worry about it.

I use one of these on a PT-EP13.

Howshot M67 Mount Base 120 for Olympus PPO-EP01 Flat Port

I've only had a few dives on it before covid, but it seems to work pretty well. It "clicks" into place either in front of the housing or out of the way. I don't have either of those macro lens (just the 12-50), so I'll let others comment on that.

Hi what wet lens did you use and were you happy with results?
Like the look of the adapter. Thanks for posting.

I cannot tell about the original Oly housings, since I use Nauticam...

I can tell about macro lens and diopter: I find the Zuiko 60mm extremely useful for macro. Already alone it gives very high magnification. Most of the times I take the CMC-1 on a flip diopter (at 12 o'clock position, so it is not in the way of the flashes) with me in addition. I use the CMC-1 rarely, often the native magnification without wetlens is enough, but it is good to have it, just in case. See sample photos below:

Zuiko 60mm without diopter:
View attachment 631060

Zuiko 60mm + CMC-1, same Flabellina few moments later, eating hydrozoon :
View attachment 631061

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang, do you find the drop off in DOF is ok or do you just live with it?

You mean the drop of in depth of field, when using the CMC-1, compared to the pure Zuiko 60mm?

DOF is generally narrow in macro (and becomes thinner with CMC-1), but personally I did not identify this as a problem...
Camera settings of the nudibranch was f/11; 1/250s and ISO200 for both photos.

Wolfgang

the 30mm macro you really can't use wet lenses with as it focuses just about on the port glass. Diopters don't magnify the image in general terms they just let the lens focus closer. If you can already focus on the glass the diopter won't help.

Having said all that the CMC-1 does provide a little increase in working distance over what an equivalent magnification conventional diopter provides. Myself - I'm happy with just the 60mm it does enough magnification for me and to get 1:1 you are already pretty close to the port and holding still enough with a bit of surge is a challenge already. At 1:1 of course depth of field is already razor thin add a dipoter it gets worse. I think f8 at 1:1 with the 60mm has 0.5mm depth of field from memory. with the Oly sensor f11 is about the limit - I know some people push it up to f16-22 but it is getting pretty mushy from diffraction by then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom