Anyone using Ocean Reef Neptune II Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jduncan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Curious to know how it's working if you are using one. They look very comfortable. Any comments? From reading the forums, it looks like the INTERSPIRO Divator MKII is a better mask?

jduncan:
Curious to know how it's working if you are using one. They look very comfortable. Any comments? From reading the forums, it looks like the INTERSPIRO Divator MKII is a better mask?

I think Poseidon's & AGA's V-block still have it all over the Neptune. I think if they moved into this type of equalizer they would do better - the nostril pins just dont do it for me...

FFMDiver:
I think Poseidon's & AGA's V-block still have it all over the Neptune. I think if they moved into this type of equalizer they would do better - the nostril pins just dont do it for me...

You still have SP full mask, haven't you?

jduncan:

Without a doubt...

hoosier:
You still have SP full mask, haven't you?

Never had the SP - but it looks to be a great choice, especially with glass lenses!

P.S. like the new profile pic

I am the happy owner of 2 Neptune II FFM assemblies with the GSM unit for communication. I got them for XMas, from a diver from Hawai'i who used them in a dive/guide service. He's moving on to more technical diving and rebreathers, and leaving the guiding business behind.

The masks are pretty solidly construcuted. I am a little concerned with the plastic fittings that connect the webbing to the faceplate - I want to be sure not to over-stress them and avoid breaking one. It would not be a write-off, but it would necessitate some repair work I'd like to not get involved with.

The NIRA regulators seem reasonably servicable. When wearing the masks they tend to draw with a little more effort than my normal regs, but nothing untoward. After having the mask on for a minute or two breathing became pretty subconscious.

We've had them in the water once so far for a shallow water test dive. We're planning on taking the diving slow, moving from shore to the shallows to 30 fsw in increments, doing mask replacements and OOA drills at each step until my buddy (wife) and I have become reasonably comfortable with the procedures.

We're still learning how to don the masks correctly - neither one of us has managed to do it perfectly twice in a row yet - the webbing flopps around, and with 7mm gloves in cold water, it takes a lot of focus to do it right.

Once the masks are on, and the webbing is adjusted correctly, the fit is quite good, both for her and for me. We're still fiddling with the adjustment for the nasal blockers - mine is about perfect, but I'm unsure if she's really happy with hers yet. We're wearing 7mm hoods, so I can't comment on issues with the webbing and hair - we'll be warm water diving with them next month so we'll learn all about that shortly.

She does have longish hair, and has been having some problems keeping her bangs out of the mask skirt. Next dive she's going to try slicking her hair back and holding it in place with a clip to see if that helps.

Our existing hoods had facial openings that were too small for the mask, so I used scissors to cut away extra material to widen the opening as needed. Use cheap hoods to do this with - I'm sure that I'll need to do it again as I better understand the necessary and desirable configuration. Luckily, I had some extras to work on first.

In the water, I've noticed two things that are troubling. First, a lot of air leaks from around the skirt. I suspect this is partially due to the fact that we didn't have the webbing adjusted correctly on our first dive and I'm hoping that the problem will be resolved on the second attempt. Second, there's a pretty severe in-water effect due to the shock of the cold water.

We dive in Puget Sound. Last weekend, in 4 fsw, the water temp was 45 degrees. When the FFM is on, all the skin of your face is exposed to the internal air chamber, and with the heat from your body carried in the exhalations, the chamber stays nice and warm. So far, so good - maybe even better than diving with a low profile "half mask".

Then you have to take the FFM off. Under water. The shock of the cold water hitting my face felt like I'd been punched in the nose. I was in water barely up to my chest, and after I switched to my backup reg, I was breathing like I'd just finished running a marathon. I could not wait to stand up - I felt like I was "drowning". It was very surprising to me how my body reacted to the whole experience. The second attempt went much better than the first - not because of the shock being less, but because I was just more prepared for what would happen. Not something I'd like to do "for fun", but since I've got a whole schedule of drills planned, it is something I'm going to have to get used to.

Once we've done a full dive with drill & some "sightseeing" I'll post another response with an update. I'd also like to hear from any other divers using the system to share tips & tricks!

Ryan

PS: No report on the GSM system yet. I put the batteries in backwards. :(

rsdancy, is this the only FF you have ever used? If not which ones have you tried?

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom