Anyone using HP80's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flycaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm rattling the idea around in my head of hooking up my wife with a steel HP80 as it might be easier for her to handle.
It would be used with a DSS LCD20 wing which is short enough so pinch flats would be not a problem.
Your input is appreciated.

The best reason I can think of for using the steel 80 is that it's neutrally buoyant at the end of the dive, as opposed to light.
Your wife may like carrying less lead. With a 20# backpack, you just need to run the numbers to make sure you have the buoyancy:
Maybe -6# for a full steel 80 (at dive start), and -8# for carried lead with a 5mm wetsuit, and -4# for lost buoyancy of 5mm neoprene compressed at depth. With this quick estimate, I'd say you have just enough wing buoyancy to handle a problem occurring at depth with a full tank of air.
Sounds like a plan

Yes, I use HP80s exclusively. I have four. I’m 5’5” and need a lot of lead. I also dive a BP/W with a weighted STA. I was able to go down to only 8 lbs of extra lead with HP80s for my 5mm. They are also super easy for me to manage on land, compared with AL80s. I tended to be head UP and they trimmed out nicely on me. I use them with a Halcyon Infinity 40lb wing (bit big but I won the rig at an event).

I’m even starting out SM with them, and they trim out nicely for this, too, but they don’t work well for a lot of people for that. They work well for this shrimp. :D

I've seen a few being used by short divers. They are VERY short tanks but I'm sure they are fantastic for the right body type. I'm pretty short myself at 5'9" if I stretch and they are too short for me. They seem to work well for divers in the 5'-5'5" range or so.

They do provide a better buoyancy profile than AL80s in that they are not positive at the end of the dive.

lots of mixed emotions on these...

My 5'-2" wife likes them very much, but they are so short, we have to really be careful not to pinch her wing.

For me, at 6'-7", they tip me over on my face when used with modern gear. Hate that! Now, when diving a double hose regulator, and having to wear it lower (the can should be between your shoulder blades to perform best), it is a nice tank. Using it this way means no tank hitting your legs.

Last edited:
Great for smaller people. MUCH better than AL80. I use them for long carries or shallow dives instead of HP100.

I have 3 of them; my wife and daughter use them. I used to use them as well until I got my LP85s and LP50s.
I really like them.

I have 3 of them; my wife and daughter use them. I used to use them as well until I got my LP85s and LP50s.
I really like them.

I have 4 xs l.p. 85s. A pair as doubles, and two singles. Really like them!

I have a pair of HP 80s and I really like them a lot. They are lighter than an AL 80, hold a tad more gas, and allow you to take about 5 lbs of lead off your belt compared to an AL 80. As others have mentioned, for anyone of average height or taller, they are a little short. My solution for the shortness, is to bring a block of urethane coated wood as part of my dive kit. As an average height person (5' 10") I just drop the block of wood under the tanks and that makes them easy to sit on the bench of the dive boat with.

I have a pair of these that I used as a set of doubles. I just uncoupled them and went to a set of 100s, simply because I needed more gas on my tech dives. If you decide to go the HP 80 route, I'm willing to part with the two that I have for a decent price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom