Anyone used a Canon digital camera/shell underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stokes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have always been wary of products that claim to be able to do many things. anyways, I tend to feel that I should not take my digital camera underwater, given the $200 shell that Canon designed for it. Seems like a high risk activity where I could stand to loose not only the value of the camera but the case as welll... without the camera, the case is useless. BUT, it is undeniable that I am still tempted.

I was wondering if it was worth it to get the shell for a canon s40 digital camera. I am trying to weigh if it is it worth the risk? Has anyone brought a Canon S30/S40 underwater? Satisfied? Picture quality underwater? Does the Shell hold up? Ease of operation? Any possible failure points of the shell?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Please excuse my ignorance.

Were in the same boat Stokes.

Been shopping around for a digital cam/housing that would satisfy my needs. I decided in the s30/ housing/ys90dx. unfortunately the vendor cant send it here in KSA so, i have it shipped to my friend in cebu. Crossing my fingers(as the saying goes)

Im coming to cebu 2nd week of may. that would be the time i can test the thing (again crossing my fingers)

cheers!

A few weeks ago, I went on a liveaboard dive trip on the MV Caribbean Explorer (wonderful trip -- great crew and service, decent accomodations, good shipmates and diving...) and the captain, JF, had a Canon S30 with housing that I borrowed for a dive.

Some background:

I've been using a Nikon Coolpix 950 -- 2.23 mpixel -- in an Ikelite housing and a supplemental video light for conditions where natural light isn't good enough.

I've been thinking of picking up the Sony DSC-P5 (or -P9) with the Sony housing because of its small size (the idea being I could fit the housed Sony right in a pocket of my BC).

Thoughts:

Focusing

I think an autofocus camera is of marginal use underwater. Autofocus gets confused by particles in the water. If you're doing a nose-on portrait of a 6 foot reef shark from a distance of 3 feet, well, the autofocus will work just fine... but that's not typically what you'll be doing.
:eek:

(Going into manual focus model should also dramatically reduce digital camera shutter latency, the delay that feels like minutes between pushing the shutter from half way down to all the way down and actually 'hearing' or 'seeing' the camera fire.) :wink:

The Canon can go into manual focus mode but I didn't get a chance to use it that way.

Natural Light

Let's ignore flash and supplemental lighting for a moment. In natural light photography under water, you really need an "orange" filter to help balance the adsorption effects of water. Without it, by time you're down 50 feet, all your pictures are blue, usually so blue you can't effectively adjust the color balance in your digital darkroom (PhotoShop, Photo-Paint, etc.)

Unfortunately, I haven't found an off-the-shelf "orange" filter assembly for the Canon-case. By contrast, Sony sells part number VFMP5K, its "Filter Kit for MPK-P5" (the underwater case for its DSC-P5). Here's a link to Sony's writeup.

But, according to a post on wetpixel, "INON introduced their line of wide and macro attachment lens for the Canon WP-DC300/400 Underwater Housing at the Tokyo Diving Festival 2002. The INON lens adapter is compatible with the INON UCL-330 macro lens or the INON UWL-100 wide angle lens. Release date is May 2002." Here's one thread I found on the subject.

This needs some more research.

If you can get an underwater color contrast enhancing filter (i.e., orange) for this housing, you ought to be able to take some decent underwater natural light pictures. (The filter, BTW, needs to cover not only the lens but also the light meter port.)

If not, natural light photos below 33 ft/10 m will likely suck. And at 50 to 60 ft or worse, you won't be able to do any reasonable digital manipulation to fix the color balance. (The depths here are guesses...I didn't really measure this in detail. This is "directional" advice...)

Unnatural Light -- Flash or Video

Given the way this camera's flash works, I'd lean towards using a video light where illumination was too poor. For example, you can pick up Ikelite underwater video lights through B&H Photo in NYC but none of this stuff is cheap.

With a good color filter, at reasonable depths, you can get some good natural light pictures (esp. on bright sunny days -- don't try this at night...) You don't need or want the color filter if you're using artificial light, either a video light or a strobe.

Suggestions:

1. Before buying the case, try the Canon on dry land, working it in manual focus mode on small and objects 1 to 5 feet away. If the manual focus works smoothly enough, OK. This is probably a cool combo for natural light photography.

2. If you find a good color contrast enhancement filter assy for the camera, you can probably dive deeper on colorful reefs and catch a lot of the color in the picture (assuming it's bright sun, etc.)

I'm in a quandry. The Canon seems to be a much more capable camera than the Sony. Don't know what to do. So I'll just keep using my Nikon...

I have been researching a digital camera purchase for both wet and dry use and I have definatly decided to go with the Canon s40. I have been reading up for months on this topic now. First off the camera is very nice for use on land, compact and it doesn't use the crappy smartmedia cards that Oly cameras do. I have talked to people who have used the case underwater and they say it works great (and it costs less than any Ikelite out there), although you definatly need some type of strobe (I am going to get a Sea&Sea 25 or 60 with the optical cable). The fact that Sea&Sea makes accessories for the canon UW cases speaks very well of it and also makes getting quality stuff easy. The built in flash is not sufficient. When I finally dig up the cash Im going to take the plunge. I'll keep you all posted but I already know I will love it.

While I can't comment on the Canon, I recently purchased the Sony DSC-P5 camera which I like so far. I ordered the Sony UW housing for it which will come in on Friday. I won't be able to try it out in the water for another month or so but I will definately be getting DEPP insurance and the additional flood protection coverage for the camera before taking it in the water just in case.

Hello,
As a proud owner of the Canon S30+ WP-DC300 Waterproof Case I can recommended it.
I fount it very comfortable to take U/W pictures with this settings.
You can use all of the controls of the camera with the U/w case.
My Case is hold up with no problems I used it at 30 meters down.
I still don't have strobe, so I used only the internal flesh with all its problems.
I decided about the Canon over the Sony P-5 because of a problem I heard there is in the Sony, when using the flesh the camera used only very low speed 1/15-1/30.
I like the picture quality U/W (same as on land)

Alto

Hi,

I just returned from a dive trip & wedding in Grand Cayman.

I have a Cannon Powershot S300 Digital Elph & underwater case rated to 30 M/100 FSW.

I took it to 100-105 FSW on at least 4 dives during the trip and it never had a problem.

Using a 512 Mb compactflash card I took over 500 "1600x1200 Superfine" pictures. Over half of them were taken on the 11 dives I brought the camera along on.

I didn't take the camera on the first 4 dives as the housing was in bagage that the airline lost for 24 hours. It missed one dive due to both bateries needing to recharge and I left it ashore for the one deep (150FSW) dive.

I reduced 15 of the pictures by 50-75% and also croped a bit and put up a small website:
http://hometown.aol.com/dc4bs/cayman1.html

All night shots were taken using the built-in flash.

It had a tendency to fog the housing lense towords the end of a dive untill I stopped being lazy and actualy used the anti-fog stuff that came with the housing.

It was super to use. It actualy produced beter pictures at night with the flash (more color, etc) untill I put it in manual mode to force the flash to go off during the day. Most of the pictures from the first few daytime dives of the trip are quite blue :wink: as was mentioned would be a problem in one of the above posts...

It was a big hit with the gang as I would use the AV cable to plug it into the hotel TV and everyone could see the pics from the dive right away.

Email me directly at dc4bs@aol.com and I can send you a few of the fullsized originals so you can judge the quality of the results for yourself.

Hmm.. I'll be leaving on Saturday for 1 week on a business trip. I'll take the CD I made and try to check my AOL email from the office I'll be working out of. If I have problems getting to my home email account from London, then I'll reply with the pics sometime after Saturday the 20th as I'll be back home then unless the trip gets extended for some reason.

I am pretty much convinced that I made a good decision with regards to the Canon S40 on land. Though I did not buy an UW case for it yet, I am leaning towards getting one. Keeping in mind that if I do decide to get thye UW case, it will be my first time to take a camera underwater. PLUS, the S40 is one of my prized possesions.

Just a couple of questions that you, more experienced people can help me with :

1. Is maintenance a haslle? What maintenance procedures must I follow to keep my camera safe?
2. Do I have to clean the O-rings before and after every dive, as what I was taught with Flashlights?
3. How important is an external light source?
4. As mentioned in another thread, the WP-DC300 will be coming out with a filter assembly in the future. IS it wise to just wait for that?
5. Tips on where i could get/order the UW housing?
6. Is there only one maker for UW housing for the Canon S40?
7. Has anybody had a bad experience taking a Canon underwater?

If anything else pops in your minds, fire away!

Thanks for bearing with my ignorance!

STOKES

:(

Unfortunately I have yet to meet someone on this board who has purchased the S40 for UW use. Everyone is into their Oly cameras which personally don't like very much for various reasons. I have also yet to see any other manufacturer come out with a UW housing for it other than Canon. If you don't mind the 100 FSW depth limit then I would say go for it, the price is right. For information regarding maintenance and O-rings and the like that stuff is pretty general accross the board. I would suggest checking out Sea&Sea at www.seaandsea.com or give one of their reps a call. They have a lot of products and only use the canons, which are relatively new to the UW market. They sell filter setups NOW for them so you shouldn't have to wait as well and tray/arm/flash combos. One of their reps can probably answer alot of your questions. This is one of the extremely few areas where this board has been of little help to me in the past. But I am glad to see I'm not the only one around here thinking of doing this. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom