Anyone use the credit cards that accumulate points to get free plane tickets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatrick

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in Chicago area where there is no access to the ocean and I like reef dive much more than wreck dive. Basically if I want to do reef dive, I have to fly. Can someone recommend me a credit card that accumulates points to get free plane tickets? I googled and found a bunch of “frequent flyer” cards. Unfortunately I don’t fly that often (average once a year). So I’m looking for the kind of card that accumulates points based on the dollar I spend. I always pay off the balance; never carry a single penny to the next month. So the interest rate is not important.

Please advice, thank you :)
Patrick

Hey Patrick,
I use the American Airlines advantage card. Going to Maui next year from the miles accumulated last year. I also use a Capital one but the miles don't add up fast.
Since airfare is such a pain, you might want to make sure the card you are getting supports the airlines you're wanting to fly to the target destinations.
good luck.

I use the Alaska Airlines Visa from Bank of America. Every dollar you spend is a mile.
Find an airline like Alaska Airlines that offers a huge variety of opportunities to get miles. I get miles for every dollar I spend on internet, phone, cable, even safeway offers 250 miles for every $500 spent. I get thousands of miles every year just from that. I also travel often and make sure that wherever I stay I have a member card and that it is giving me miles on Alaska, same for car rentals.

My friends at work refer to me as the mileage *****. I will do anything to get miles. It is not hard if you take the time to include your mileage number in everything. Heck, even online shopping will get you miles at different places like Eddie Bauer, Lands End, Amazon, etc. You can pay your mortgage payment with your credit card instead of a check and then just pay the card with the check. That's over 1500 miles every month in most cases. Damn---I'm not doing this one--need to fix that ASAP!

We never pay for airline tickets and we always fly first class. That should give you some idea of how many miles I earn every year. To be fair, though--I am an MVP Gold which also means that I get 100% miles on every flight (I get 2 miles for every mile flown).

It pays off, believe me.

Edit: to add that the Alaska Airlines mileage program covers Alaska Airlines/Horizon, Delta, Continental, American, KLM, Northwest, and British Airways.
I can go almost anywhere :)

I use both American Advantage (for American Airlines miles, usually for Caribbean trips) and American Express (for lots of other airlines, specifically to the Pacific). Each add up quickly when you have a wife who shops like mine!

I don't know how often you use hotels but Choice hotels chain gives you an account to build up miles. So i use my CC to build miles then i get miles from the hotel itself. I get almost double the miles for staying at there hotels. I know Quality inn and Quality Suites are included not sure of the others.

Check out the advice available on www.flyertalk.com, a friendly and helpful group of frequent travellers who are as obsessed with accumulating miles, points and travel-related perks as scubaboard members are obsessed with all things dive-related.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom