Anyone up for diving Madison, AL Quarry this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepbrew

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
FYI, it looks like myself and 4 other people will be diving Madison on Saturday. Anyone want to join us? We probably won't arrive there until noon. From what I have heard the water temps make this feel more like taking a bath than diving, so it should be nice.

Slight change of plans. Looks like we will be diving the TN River out of South Pittsburg, TN on Saturday and we might dive Madison on Sunday. If anyone wants to join us either day, let me know.

jeepbrew:
FYI, it looks like myself and 4 other people will be diving Madison on Saturday. Anyone want to join us? We probably won't arrive there until noon. From what I have heard the water temps make this feel more like taking a bath than diving, so it should be nice.
I've heard that the Madison quarry was only open now by appointment through an LDS, and had basically no facilities (no shop, no fills, no concession, etc.).

They basically unlock it for you, and say "have at it." Has that changed?

BKP:
I've heard that the Madison quarry was only open now by appointment through an LDS, and had basically no facilities (no shop, no fills, no concession, etc.).

They basically unlock it for you, and say "have at it." Has that changed?

That's sorta correct. It is only open to a LDS that has it reserved, but SDI in Huntsville will let anyone come the weekends they've reserved it as long as you bring your $20 cash.

There is no onsite shop, fills, or consession, but I never used any of that anyway when Rock Divers was open. Once I dropped off my fee and liability form at the shop, most of us typically never set foot back in the office anyway since you have to "drive" to the top of the quarry to get to is, so it's no worries about there not being facilities now.

As for unlock and "have at it", you still have to check in with the local shop (SDI or other) and be accounted for, etc. But it's not any bother.

to see what weekends SDI has the quarry, check out http://www.sdiscuba.com and they have it on their main page.

If you need a map of the quarry as to where everything is sunk, PM me your email address and I'll email it to you. (will have to wait until tonight as it's at home).

I might wander out Sunday with you Jeepbrew. BTW... water temps out there two weeks ago were 85f to 85 except one spot that was about 10f colder. I dove it in a 1mm and got a little warm. Next time I'll dive it in a 2mm shortie or nothing.

-Mike

Thanks, Mike... appreciate the update, and link...

We've never been to Madison (pre- or post-RockDivers), however, we've heard relatively good things...

-Barry

It's a good place to dive. The only things that are different now than when Rock Divers was open is the way is being operated (per the city water board contract) and the water level is down some (about 10 feet). But the water level is no big deal being down 10 feet since everything you want to see is "on the bottom" anyway. It just means more bottom time.

However, the lower water level means the docks can't be used for entry, but that's not a big deal either, you just shore entry on the road. Works fine. I've been out there a few times this year and done that and that's what we had to do before the put the docks in years ago anyway.

Since you've never been there, stuff they've got sunk is an F-4 fighter, 3 cabin cruisers, a Minute-Man missile, numerous small boats, all kinds of NASA stuff (mostly "mock ups", observatory, etc.), Firetruck, Pickup, horizontal and vertical tubes (several), compass course, bridge span, various small items, etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom