Anyone traveled to Costa Rica under the new COVID regulations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me know if you have any problems at the border with the DiveAssure travel/dive insurance for COVID purposes! I always have that insurance and didnt even realize they might qualify for the required CR insurance. In my part of Canada, we have no alternative options than the relatively expensive INS insurance program and if I could avoid it, that would be great!

Sure. I have DiveAssure travel insurance & DAN dive accident insurance.

Here is what DiveAssure says about COVID-19 policy: Special Notice - Corona Virus – DiveAssure

Sure. I have DiveAssure travel insurance & DAN dive accident insurance.

Here is what DiveAssure says about COVID-19 policy: Special Notice - Corona Virus – DiveAssure
I confirmed with DiveAssure and they state that they will cover me for the Costa Rica entry requirements (on their Dive & Travel plan, which is what I usually get anyway in order to have coverage in the terrible event I literally "miss the (LOB) boat". I am in a separate group on FB that discusses the evolving situation in Costa Rica, admission requirements etc. Non-Costa Rican insurers have to be approved and it looks like they are being done via the Health Pass forms in advance. If you get a red or a yellow check after completing it, it means you will need to provide additional info/documentation to prove that it meets their entry requirements - for some, that is corrected before departure and they get the green check whereas others have to provide further documentation in person at the border. I want to avoid any problems (and of course don't want to be denied boarding the plane or be turned away at the border).... so it would be great to know if they end up approving your DiveAssure plan for entry!

I confirmed with DiveAssure and they state that they will cover me for the Costa Rica entry requirements (on their Dive & Travel plan, which is what I usually get anyway in order to have coverage in the terrible event I literally "miss the (LOB) boat". I am in a separate group on FB that discusses the evolving situation in Costa Rica, admission requirements etc. Non-Costa Rican insurers have to be approved and it looks like they are being done via the Health Pass forms in advance. If you get a red or a yellow check after completing it, it means you will need to provide additional info/documentation to prove that it meets their entry requirements - for some, that is corrected before departure and they get the green check whereas others have to provide further documentation in person at the border. I want to avoid any problems (and of course don't want to be denied boarding the plane or be turned away at the border).... so it would be great to know if they end up approving your DiveAssure plan for entry!

I guess I’ll find out on Saturday morning (48 hour before departing Houston) when I fill out the form.

Just went to drive-thru PCR swab test. Needed to swab each nostrils pretty deep to the point of sneezing & getting watery eyes. The pharmacist said I may get the result later today. We shall see.

I guess I’ll find out on Saturday morning (48 hour before departing Houston) when I fill out the form.

Just went to drive-thru PCR swab test. Needed to swab each nostrils pretty deep to the point of sneezing & getting watery eyes. The pharmacist said I may get the result later today. We shall see.

Finally got the PCR result. It took 2.5 days. One hurdle passed. One more to go tomorrow.
75F4CA31-89A4-477B-A6E2-34E38C6449D9.jpeg

A few more things to do before traveling there, based on the following info:
“...Visitors traveling to Costa Rica will need to provide proof of a medical insurance policy to cover any COVID-19 related medical treatment or quarantine lodging while in Costa Rica. In the case of international insurance, tourists must request from their insurer a certification issued in English or Spanish, noting: 1) the validity of the policy during the dates of visit to Costa Rica, 2) guarantee of coverage for medicals expenses in cases of COVID-19 related medical treatment in the amount of 50,000 USD and, 3) minimum coverage of 2,000 USD for extended lodging expenses due to COVID-19 related illness...”

1. I got a letter from my health insurance provider (Aetna) stating that I would be covered for any COVID-19 related medical treatment.
2. Purchased DiveAssure travel insurance that covers for overseas quarantine lodging.
3. Plan to fill out the Health Pass form Pase de Salud Costa Rica 48 hours prior to boarding the United flight to SJO.

Now is 48 hour before arrival in San Jose. I filled out the Health Pass and got the QR Code to show to the CR health control authority (immigration officer?) upon arrival at the SJO airport.

Tips:
Gather all of your travel insurance documents (including the Health Insurance ID cards) as pictures in your smartphone (or laptop) photo gallery so you can simply upload them to the Health Pass form when you’re filling it out online.

We’ll see on Monday.

Let me know if you have any problems at the border with the DiveAssure travel/dive insurance for COVID purposes! I always have that insurance and didnt even realize they might qualify for the required CR insurance.

Make sure you get the Elite level of Benefits (highest coverage to meet Costa Rica COVID-19 medical & accommodation expenses). Even with DiveAssure Elite level, the coverage for COVID-19 related quarantine expenses is only $125/day for 14 days or $1750 total, $250 short of the Costa Rica requirements of $2000 for 14 days. German Torres of Ministerio de Salud de Costa Rica says that I’m going to have problem when I am there. So, I wrote an email to DiveAssure Team to increase my quarantine expenses to $150/day for 14 days and to send me a letter stating all of the specifics about my benefits meeting the Costa Rica requirements.

This thing is starting to get on my nerve.

Make sure you get the Elite level of Benefits (highest coverage to meet Costa Rica COVID-19 medical & accommodation expenses). Even with DiveAssure Elite level, the coverage for COVID-19 related quarantine expenses is only $125/day for 14 days or $1750 total, $250 short of the Costa Rica requirements of $2000 for 14 days. German Torres of Ministerio de Salud de Costa Rica says that I’m going to have problem when I am there. So, I wrote an email to DiveAssure Team to increase my quarantine expenses to $150/day for 14 days and to send me a letter stating all of the specifics about my benefits meeting the Costa Rica requirements.

This thing is starting to get on my nerve.
The coverage I have said it would be for up to 30 days but you are right that it doesn't meet the required $2k for the 14 days. Has Dive Assure agreed to up the coverage for you to meet the requirements? Worst case scenario I guess there is always the INS coverwge but it's an extra $160 or so and largely redundant. Sigh.
I also just heard someone talking about in country rumors that CR might be closing its borders again. I am sincerely beginning to regret all this.

The coverage I have said it would be for up to 30 days but you are right that it doesn't meet the required $2k for the 14 days. Has Dive Assure agreed to up the coverage for you to meet the requirements? Worst case scenario I guess there is always the INS coverwge but it's an extra $160 or so and largely redundant. Sigh.
I also just heard someone talking about in country rumors that CR might be closing its borders again. I am sincerely beginning to regret all this.

Yes, Emma Westerlund of DiverAssure replied to my email and provided me the following recommendation:

• “While we cannot increase the per-day coverage from $125 to $150 if you upgrade the Elite from $1000 cancellation and curtailment to $2000 this will offer sufficient coverage as coverage is up to the max curtailment limit. You are covered for 12 days (Nov. 30 – Dec. 11). Do you need to extend coverage to 14 days? The upgrade would be an additional $75. We can send you a payment link.
  • Once changes have been made to your program we can provide you with a letter detailing coverage.”

I hope that won’t happen. Anyway I got the upgraded coverage letters from DiveAssure that meet Costa Rica Health Pass requirements, so I got everything I need to go there tomorrow.

93D8DCF0-8E2F-4CB4-9595-59872605D54A.jpeg
C3083CD3-5210-4C55-BCFF-A95BAFB77582.jpeg

I’m @ IAH airport now, on my way to SJO. When UA checkin attendant saw that I’m going to CR, she immediately requested & checked my DiveAssure travel insurance documents & QR code carefully & then tagged my checkin baggage.

We’ll see what happens in SJO @ noon. Fingers crossed. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom