Anyone traveled to Costa Rica under the new COVID regulations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moorish8idol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested in anyone's experiences with the new rules for entry into Costa Rica, specifically the requirement for insurance and a negative PCR test 72 hours before travel (curious whether this means before you leave on your flight to CR or whether that applies to the anticipated time of arrival; whether any PCR test is accepted or only RT etc)

Call me crazy but I am considering a dive vacay over Christmas and am just trying to sort out the logistics (in addition to whether it is a good idea period).

Thanks!

I’m down here in CR now. The travel is pretty simple. You need travel insurance that covers Covid to the CR rules. Easy to find and not too expensive. I’m 59 years old and 45 days cost me around $120. 48 hours before your flight, you fill out an online form. (The link was forwarded to me by united airlines) this form includes travel info and your insurance information. You will then receive a bar code that you can print out or simply keep on your phone.
Upon arrival they will scan the barcode and if your insurance company is an unknown to them the require you show them the policy before entry. Otherwise, the immigration and customs is normal for CR.
I was pulled out for the insurance and it was quickly resolved.
Cheers! Wander some and enjoy!

Reactions: Dan
Similar experience here. I've been in CR since 10/22, when they still required a negative PCR test result within 72 hours of flight departure. This is no longer a requirement since the beginning of November, but it might change given the high number of cases in the US recently. Here is a link to the "Pase de Salud" questionnaire which one is required to fill out for entry into the country. And here is a link to the insurance requirements.

My experience here has been great with how people are handling CV. At every restaurant or grocery store which I've visited, I've been asked to wash my hands or use hand sanitizer prior to entering the premises. Some business will also take your temperature at the door. The public in general seems to be adhering to the rules and new way of life more so than in the US.

My biggest concern was for the time that I was on the plane. I flew United into Houston, and the plane was full. Fortunately to some extent, it was an overnight flight so there was minimal activity from people since most everyone was asleep. The 2nd leg into San Jose was less than 50% full, so I had plenty of empty seats around me. Everyone on both flights adhered to the mask requirement. Processing after landing was straightforward, even with all the checks in place. CR has had plenty of experience to fine-tune their system.

Stay safe!

Reactions: Dan
I love CR but would never pick it for a SCUBA vacation. The hiking is fantastic and the touring great but the diving is meh at best.

Mea culpa. I’ll make an exception for that. Are CR LOBs going out now? I’ve done CR three times - dove from mainland - never on a LOB there.

Yes. I’m trying to go back there next month, also in September 2021 (a rescheduled trip of September 2020).

Argo has a 3-man sub that can take you down to 1000’ depth. A once-in-a-life-time experience. I did it in that last trip.

That’s me on the left. :wink:

C5C39CE1-2CA9-45DE-9EEE-92FB2100D9BC.jpeg

I love CR but would never pick it for a SCUBA vacation. The hiking is fantastic and the touring great but the diving is meh at best.
Why don't you just say that your personal experience was lousy? I'll be happy to dive Isla del Cano again. The Bats were quite interesting too, though challenging, and even Ocotal on a good day can be a welcome change if diving in the Caribbean becomes redundant.

Back
Top Bottom