Anyone seen the PADA buoyancy control video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
One of the first things I'd like to do now that I am certified is become better at buoyancy control, trim etc. - particularly as I have purchased a TPII back inflate BC, which I hear may take a bit of getting used to and really requires proper adjustment and so on, perhaps more so than a jacket BC. Anyhow, I saw an ad for a PADI buoyancy control video. I don't think I can take the course (if I could find one in my neck of the woods) as I am NAUI certified - but thought that I might learn something from the video. Has anyone seen it? Is it at all useful?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

I looked into taking the course partly because of tampascott's rave reviews of it. And yes, he was right. I found it very helpful. :wink:

I had no problems in taking the PADI course, even though my OW certification is through SSI. Also, I picked up my video just before closing on the day before my class. Wouldn't you know my new video tape was all broken to bits? I stopped by another LDS, explained the situation and asked if they would let me rent their store copy for the weekend. They let me take it for $5 and wished me luck on my class.

I agree with tampascott that the video is just ok. It really only talked about basics, really nothing that wasn't covered in my OW classes. But the real value really was in doing the underwater skills and receiving the critiques from the instructor.

I definitely thought it was worthwhile.

So, ask your LDS. Your NAUI certification may be ok with them. But if you decide to just go with the video, see if you can rent it instead of spending the $25 to buy it.

It took the PADI class 2 weeks ago, but my LDS was out of the video, and let me go without.
I'm diving now with less lead, have better trim, and generally feel more comfortable. The in-water experience with the instructor, and practicing skills on your own, would seem to be the important aspects, not the video.

What would you think if the instructor took the time to teach you that in your open water class? Better or worse open water class?

Waterlover,

I think that it would be better, but considering the amount of material that must be covered, especially safety-related subjects, it's probably not practical.
It is offered as an elective with Advanced Open Water, but since I did not do that elective, I can't compare it with the stand-alone class.

Funny, I just borrowed the video, and though I consider myself pretty much a newbie (~30 dives), there was not much in the video that was new to me...

Take the class....

You will definitely learn more by doing it in class.

Once you learn how to adjust yourself in the water column by the way you breathe, you will thank yourself for spending the money.
(no guarantee, your mileage may vary) :D

--dawg

The video does stress the basics and there is nothing wrong with that, but the PPB dives did not introduce me to anything new.

Every dive you go on you are practicing/fine-tuning your bouyancy. To me, taking the videography class has been more of a challenge on maintaining nuetral bouyancy at different positions to hold various shots.

I recommend taking the photography or videography class and you will definetly work on bouyancy...plus its too much fun!!

Jason

jepuskar once bubbled...
I recommend taking the photography or videography class and you will definetly work on bouyancy...plus its too much fun!!

Jason
Sounds good to me, I guess I will choose the UW-photography

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom