Anyone remember yellow assent balls???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sasscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
Wish I could find a picture. Back in the early 80's they had this device you could clip on your hose and it contained like 4 or 5 yellow plastic balls that you would release to control your assent rate. I remember wanting them when I was like 14. You just made sure to stay below the yellow ball as it headed up toward the surface. Seems silly now but just remembered it and wanted to see if anyone else seen them or heard of them. I searched the internet for a pic but came up with nothing.

nobody??

Never heard of it, but sounds interesting. Let us know!

My one concern is that the normal ascent rate taught in the 80s was 60'/min, while today they have discovered 30'/min is far safer, so those original tools may no longer apply. No idea for certain, just pure speculation, in the grand tradition of the internet. :D

I remember them. They were kind of useless if there was any current. The norm was also to pick out the smallest bubble and keep it stationary in front of your mask as you ascended. I don't know of anyone who would have a picture of one but it was basically a colored ping pong ball.

I've actually seen people play with a ping pong ball as they surfaced in a way very much the way described.

I don't have a pic, but this article has a pretty decent description of those and other items. A pretty entertaining read: Weird Gear

Firefyter:
I don't have a pic, but this article has a pretty decent description of those and other items. A pretty entertaining read: Weird Gear

Good article..nice find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom