Anyone put a Suunto SK7 on a wrist slate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I like wrist slates and I'd also like to get a proper wrist mounted compass (Suunto SK7), but my forearm gets too crowded, especially since I have a watch there too.

I'm wondering if anyway has had success in combining a wrist slate with the Suunto Sk7?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of taking a small wrist slate with maybe 2 or three "pages." Cutting a round hole big enough for the SK7 into one end of it and then somehow attaching it there. Anyone done this? What did you use, what version of the SK7 did you use; just the capsule or one of the add-on mounts/boots?

I saw someone take a piece of plastic rain gutter and put a couple slots in it for mounting a dive watch computer on it. Looked like it worked well for him. Might be a thought. Good luck.

I took a PVC pipe cut it in half heated it up and shapped it to the form of my arm. I attached my watch and gekko on it. I also sanded it down so I could write on it . Works like a charm :)

I used a stainless steel wire to go across where the watch band pin normally is, then attached them with good ol zipties. I drilled holes for the normal bungy that holds it on your arm. Ill take a picture of it tonight, and upload it.

Just an update on the finished project:

EDIT: Usually I would wear this on my forearm. It's only at the back of my hand for the shots and because without exposure protection the fit is too loose.

SK7inDSSboot_wrist_slate4.jpg

SK7inDSSboot_wrist_slate3.jpg

SK7inDSSboot_wrist_slate2.jpg

I used these small aluminum sex bolts (aka assembly screws, aka socket bolts, ...) from my local hardware store that fit the DSS wrist boot perfectly:

SK7inDSSboot_wrist_slate_assembly2.jpg

I cut a slot in the bottom panel of the slate to accommodate the flat profile of the DSS boot. Of course using screws on a curved surface was a bit tricky. I carved holes for their heads, and then bent and filed them to fit the curvature (well, I still have to finished two of them):

SK7inDSSboot_wrist_slate_assembly5.jpg

I first tried this with SK7's original wrist boot (while my DSS order was MIA thanks to USPS), but switched to the DSS boot once it arrived to achieve lower profile. Here's how SK7 looked with Suunto's wrist boot (sorry, I saved these in black and white by accident):

compass_slate3.jpg

compass_slate1.jpg

I haven't tried this system in the water yet.

How are you gonna carry a light with that?

How are you gonna carry a light with that?

Usually that would be on my forearm, so the hand is free to hold the light/goodman handle.

In the pics I had it at the back of my hand simply to get a good shot, and because my forearm is too skinny for the slate when I don't have my drysuit or wetsuit on. When diving the light has never been a problem with either slate or compass, so the combo shouldn't get in the way either.

Ahhhh, gotcha! I've never used an underwater slate. Do you find it useful? Most of my diving is in the caves though, so maybe the slate is more useful for OW diving??

Just trying to understand how this would get used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom