Anyone purchase Aqua Lung's new details line BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shannonwbruce

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not that I am needing or wanting to replace my BCD, just wondering if anyone had purchased one? I don't really like the built in bra part in most women specific BCDs but the inflator part looked interesting.

Not that I am needing or wanting to replace my BCD, just wondering if anyone had purchased one? I don't really like the built in bra part in most women specific BCDs but the inflator part looked interesting.

I think the Pearl is the only one with a built in bra. I've used the Lotus i3 and really liked it. Very comfy, fitted harness, back inflate, and no bra. By referring to the inflator are you meaning the i3 system?

Yes the i3 system. Is it difficult to transition from the hose to the handle?

The i3 is incredibly easy to use. It's really all personal preference, so definitely take into account your own personal diving habits and needs. Using it was easy, and the BC was fantastic and felt very balanced. Since it was a back inflate, I would expect no less, it was very stable. It takes some getting used to having your hand go to your left hip automatically instead of your left chest/shoulder area, but experience diving it is the only remedy for that. Dumping air is easy, the valves all operate simultaneously, so you can easily dump from any position using the lever.

One thing that was less than ideal for me is that I use my right hand for my inflator if my left is occupied and that's not feasible in the i3. Also, I have been in some tight spaces that would not have easily allowed me to reach my left hip.

It's a really nice system, just depends on what kind of diving you do and your habits. I'm sticking with my traditional inflator for the time being :)

Will you be doing cold water or warm water diving - or both?

Kimbalabala - mostly warm water diving at this point. My dive buddy (husband) doesn't like cold water.

Mtngoat2674 - my concern with the i3 was reaching for the inflator hose and panicking when it wasn't there. Obviously it would take a few dives to get used to the new setup, like any other piece of gear :wink:

Kimbalabala - mostly warm water diving at this point. My dive buddy (husband) doesn't like cold water.

Mtngoat2674 - my concern with the i3 was reaching for the inflator hose and panicking when it wasn't there. Obviously it would take a few dives to get used to the new setup, like any other piece of gear :wink:

Yes, as always, dive within your abilities, and get used to gear in controlled or comfortable conditions before you press on with more difficult dives :). It's not at all difficult to use, just a matter of muscle memory. When I was using the i3, I often had the knee jerk reaction of reaching up instead of down. Nothing that amounted to panic, just "oh yeah..." Kinda like driving a vehicle with the shifter on the steering column for a long time and then buying one with the shifter on the floor. Been there, done that too.

Whether you dive warm or cold water, the i3 is easy to operate and has enough lift and weight capacity for recreational drysuit or 7mm wetsuit divers. That is one nice thing about Aqualung... They don't skimp on weight capacity or lift. I dive cold water and know hoards of people who have purchased them locally. So either way, it's a great piece of equipment.

I have the Pearl i3 and have been diving warm and cold drysuit with it for YEARS. I won't trade it for a regular BC now, just sayin'... I LOVE the i3 lever and the comfort of the bra BC. Distributes the heavy weight I wear and my steel tank in cold water nicely so that as a lady, it fits me perfectly.

I am a new diver (30dives) and began with the i3 system. Love it! When you're new and panic easy, the ease of the lever is very reassuring. However, I found myself depending on it for my bouyancy rather than my breathing. I have stopped doing that and have begun using my inflator so I understand it's purpose in the event of the lever failing me. Does that make sense?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom