Anyone Live Aboard and work in the industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi. For starters, this decision is not based on a whim. I would like to hear thoughts and opinions from people doing this first hand.

This is my plan. Seem realistic? I'll keep it short as possible as not to bore you. (I live in Central Indiana so there's not so much great diving.) Within the next couple of months I want to get my dive master certification. After receiving the certification I will have the minimum dives it takes to get it (60). I want to find out it is possible to live as a divemaster in the Keys if (a) I intend to live aboard a vessel that I purchase outright (looking at different makes/models of 38 - 40 footers with aft cabins) and (b) I have 6 mos to 1 year dock slip paid for before in advance. The plan is to get experience and sea time in the first year (where I know I won't make much) and shortly after the end of the first year I plan to have my OUPV (upgraded to 50 ton M shortly after) and well through my IDC. I've been wanting this for a very long time and I'm willing to give it my all. I'm 33 year old single male, no kids, no debt (except mortgage, which will be gone). Is this enough to have real expectations of achieving my goal? Is it at least a start in the right direction?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Have you ever been on the water for more than 12hrs? Seasickness is the one thing that gets a-lot of people that don't even consider it. Just a thought. Before i would invest all the money i would go down and hire a couple of charters and just get their opinions on things while diving. Do some recon work.

Hello there,
I'm Kevin, and I am looking for a job. I am a certified divecon and have previously worked on a fishing boat, so seasickness is not an issue. If anyoone hears anything or if there is an employer out there interested in my resume, please feel free to contact me at this site, or my email which is; thomascowan190@comcast.net. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom