Anyone here use the GoPro HERO3 LCD Touch Bacpac while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It says that the touch back door is waterproof but I was wondering what the depth rating was for it? The idea of my new camera being crushed by pressure concerns me but I would like to be able to change settings underwater. Thanks.

The touch function does not work underwater, as the manufacturer states on the website. The soft back is rated to 10 feet. The hard back is rated to 197 feet. To change settings while diving, use the buttons.

To clarify, the touch function does work underwater using the touch back door which is rated to 10'. As weaponeer stated, the hard back is rated to 197 feet and button controls operate all the functions. I use the LCD back. It sucks through battery, so either turn it off between shots (screen or camera, I turn off the screen) or get some spare batteries and expect to change them after each dive.

As scubamarketing stated, the LCD will use up your battery quicker. Spare batteries are a must if you do more than 1 dive per day. Wasabi makes a good charger and better batteries than what come with the Hero3 (1200mAh 4.4Wh as compared to stock 1050mAh 3.885 Wh). You can buy a Wasabi combo pack of 1 charger and 2 batteries for Hero3 from Blue Nook for $24.99. They also sell a pack for Hero/Hero2.

The touch function does not work underwater, as the manufacturer states on the website. The soft back is rated to 10 feet. The hard back is rated to 197 feet. To change settings while diving, use the buttons.

Oooops. I didn't know that the soft back is 10 feet only. I bought my GoPro3 Black yesterday, and used it with the soft back today. I can hereby confirm that the softback CAN handle 45 feet too... At least mine did today, and I feel very lucky...!
Changing back door right away :)

So, the bacpac comes with 2 different doors? A hard one and a soft one? - (I don't care about touch functionality) - One rated for great depth and one not? And the hard one will fit on the new dive housing?

I don't see it's purpose other than adding additional heat, costing $$, and using more battery. It would be nice if there was an optical view finder. The wide angel of the GP makes it hard to miss something.

I used my GP for recording my sister's wedding and reception (no view view finder). People were blown away with the quality, granted the sound quality isn't the best. It's not like I was cutting people's heads off in the videos.

In any case I highly suggest getting a second battery. I like the 2nd battery better than the battery back as it is half the cost. I don't think I would run out of battery in 1 dive anyway.

Ditch the LCD backpack. On more than one occasion did I have to lug around a useless rig on the 2nd dive due to a dead battery...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So, the bacpac comes with 2 different doors? A hard one and a soft one? - (I don't care about touch functionality) - One rated for great depth and one not? And the hard one will fit on the new dive housing?
Actually it comes with 3. It also includes a skeleton door. And yes they all fit the hero3 housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom