Anyone have CFS/ME and still dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piper27

Reaction score
Just wanting to know if anyone has CFS/ME and how they cope with it as my wife has CFS/ME and would like to Dive

I can only tell you to consult a physician. Most doctors are affraid to talk about any disorder and diving due to the lack of research and available data. More than likely if your wife is taking medication I would say proabably not. But, if you were to go to a rock quarry or a spring that had little or no current your wife would probably be able to get away with diving aerobically speaking. It is really up to the doctor, her, and the diving instructor willing to teach her. I believe that everyone can dive regardless of the disorder. The question is should they be diving? Is it safe for them to be diving? I would say she could forget about ever seeing the open ocean and anything body of water with a moderate chop. Her dives would have to be extremely shallow and be very close to shore, no more than 20 ft. Consult a doctor and see what he says, just don't be surprised if he says no.

My suggestion is consult a DAN recommended doctor. I agree with Dive4Life, open ocean or strenuous dives in the chop would probably be out of the question, but in a more controllable shallow shore dive on nice day or lake/springs dives where things can be controlled and somewhat shallow (10-40') may be doable with someone who is a good buddy and who is as dedicated a partner as you.

I had ME/CFS a few years ago and continued to dive. I was an experienced diver at the time. My friends helped me carrying gear and I kitted up in the water. I have always been relaxed and happy when diving and my doctors attitude was that it would do me no harm. I never felt any worse after a dive. I have been clear of ME/CFS for a number of years now and am very grateful to all those who supported me in continuing diving during my illness.

Boogie711:
Sorry to intrude, but what does CFS/ME stand for?

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is an emerging illness characterized by debilitating fatigue (experienced as exhaustion and extremely poor stamina), neurological problems, and a variety of flu-like symptoms. The illness is also known as chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome (CFIDS), and outside of the USA is usually known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). In the past the syndrome has been known as chronic Epstein-Barr virus (CEBV).
The core symptoms include excessive fatigue, general pain, mental fogginess, and often gastro-intestinal problems. Many other symptoms will also be present, however they will typically be different among different patients. These include: fatigue following stressful activities; headaches; sore throat; sleep disorder; abnormal temperature; and others.

The degree of severity can differ widely among patients, and will also vary over time for the same patient. Severity can vary between getting unusually fatigued following stressful events, to being totally bedridden and completely disabled. The symptoms will tend to wax and wane over time. This variation, in addition to the fact that the cause of the disease is not yet known, makes this illness difficult to diagnose.

Piper27:
Just wanting to know if anyone has CFS/ME and how they cope with it as my wife has CFS/ME and would like to Dive

Hi Everyone,

I recovered completely from 18 months of debilitating CFS in March 2000. I suffered all the symptoms as clinically defined. Also during my ordeal, my brain malfunctioned with symptoms like high anxiety, suicidal depression, insomnia and negative thoughts running through my mind over and over like a "spoilt record". My endocrine glands were down too and my emotions went flat. Scarry I tell you. It was like in limbo neither alive nor dead.

Since my full recovery, I have done much research on CFS to find out its cause and why I was cured. Now I have isolated 3 key dietary supplements that can rejuvenate our body cells for self healing. A CFS sufferer using this formula can see results within days! Yes my Q10 Formula has helped friends suffering CFS, rheumatoid arthritis and even erectile dysfunction to recover completely. Read about it in my website www.q10formula.com.

Cheers!

Bob Ong

okybob:
Hi Everyone,

I recovered completely from 18 months of debilitating CFS in March 2000. I suffered all the symptoms as clinically defined. Also during my ordeal, my brain malfunctioned with symptoms like high anxiety, suicidal depression, insomnia and negative thoughts running through my mind over and over like a "spoilt record". My endocrine glands were down too and my emotions went flat. Scarry I tell you. It was like in limbo neither alive nor dead.

Since my full recovery, I have done much research on CFS to find out its cause and why I was cured. Now I have isolated 3 key dietary supplements that can rejuvenate our body cells for self healing. A CFS sufferer using this formula can see results within days! Yes my Q10 Formula has helped friends suffering CFS, rheumatoid arthritis and even erectile dysfunction to recover completely. Read about it in my website www.q10formula.com.

Cheers!

Bob Ong

sounds like a sales pitch to me...

I've heard that CFS often is occompanied with UF/OS/BO; does the q10formula help prevent this too?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom