Anyone have a Light & Motion Sola Dive 2500 S/F?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Father

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Been wanting to pull the trigger one of these but I've read some reviews that sounds like the battery life has gone downhill with L&M's products.

It seems like a pretty large amount of coin to drop on something that might not last at least a few years.

The biggest appeal for me is the size, the wrist mount, the dual light modes, and the adjustable brightness. I've seen other wrist mounted lights that seem a little awkward in their size.

I guess I could get a canister, but I'm not going to be caving or doing any wreck penetration.

I took one of these to the Philippines with me last week. Yes the battery only lasts about 60 minutes on the medium flood mode. One long dive. It will auto shut off by the end of the dive but you can limp by, you can turn it on and it will stay on for about 10-15 sec.

My Sola 800 still is going strong after 5 years. It works great as a focus light but it's size is being beaten by the little Krakens.

Is the spot/flood option a huge deal to you? I actually tend to like flood for video/photo and night diving, especially because i also have a camera. Even without a camera, I find the light more pleasing. I find spot is good for day diving but I have a slim and small Big Blue 1200 for that. If spot and flood options are not dealbreakers, I suggest that you get the 3800 for a hundred bucks less and you get more lumens. There are still three levels of light output and on the max, 3800 lumens, you get an advertised 50 minutes. This is pretty bright, especially on a night dive so I’m not usually on it. Just for a special shot or day time at depth for a video. The medium is fine and it lasts plenty long. It’s advertised at 100 min at 1900 lumens. 200 min at 900 lumens. I get the advertised time. I also follow instructions for long term battery storage they tell you to do. It’s quick charge. About an hour and a half and it’s done.

The size is nice but the non-user replaceable battery is annoying in that you can’t swap out batteries when they’re dying or dead or pre-charge and swap them out. Not a dealbreaker for me. Fast charging so that helps. I like not having to worry about seals and o-rings unlike on my big blue lights, especially because I have so many to worry about already with camera gear.

I will agree with you that it has a nice small footprint and the neoprene handle is comfortable.

I ended up getting on back in December.
I took it to Truk Lagoon on the Odyssey and I enjoyed both flood and spot. Spot, as you said, is good for day diving.
I don't have a camera but I can definitely see flood being good for photography.
Both flood and spot were nice for wreck penetration and night dives.

My hangups... and I read this in some of the reviews, is that the quality of L&M lights isn't what it used to be. Granted I didn't own anything before to make a comparison, but during a week of diving and use, the slide switch on the light started sticking in the up/forward position and shutting itself off. It didn't do it on the surface, just in the water at depth.
When I got back from the trip I sent it back to L&M.
I got it back this week. When I cycled through all of the settings I noticed that one of the LEDs does not come on in the highest output setting for flood now (it does for spot). So I contacted them again and am waiting on a response.
I took it diving today and I'm pretty sure the switch was also sticking again, but I'll take it out on a few more dives to make sure.

Customer service has been ok so far. If the original problem is still there I'm hoping they'll just replace the light now that there are two issues with it. We'll see.

Overall, I really like the light, just a little disappointed with the problems considering the price tag of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom