Anyone has experience using SP350 with magic filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Bali

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Guys:
Asking for some pointers here

I recently got myself a magic filter and use it with conjuction with Inon macro and wide angle lens.
Wonder any one out here has some experience with Magic filter here?
I use manual setting but had to paly around with the speed alot having to slow down quite a bit due to insufficient light on lower vis situation (stll keeping recommended above 15 meter mark), and at times this turns out to be blur
Anyone use it before care to share some experience?

Hi David,

I have the SP-310, which is the 7MP version of the SP-350, minus the hot shoe for a flash. Instead of the Inon wide angle lens, I have a Sea & Sea lens. The wide angle lens does allow you to shoot a bit slower. Small fish don't take up as much of the frame, so their motion don't affect it as much.

In bright water, ISO 100 was fine. I used program mode with exposure compensation (usually - 2/3). I shot all the files in RAW, but since I manually white balanced, few changes had to be made. I changed them to JPEG in-camera.

You really want to be at 1/60 or higher to freeze motion. I'm attaching a photo taken at about 12 meters. The shutter was 1/20th at F4, ISO 100. This photo would have turned out better if I bumped the ISO up to 200, or even 400.

These are the rest of my Magic-Filter photos. I made the EXIF values visible.
http://www.pbase.com/krancer/fiji_2006_

Attachments

• P9021926.jpg
    P9021926.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 72
lifeis.... check the thread, those pictures were done with the Magic Filter, impressive. I tried the compensation filter Sony offered, but things just came out orange and I lost nearly 2 stops of exposure latitude. This filter is quite different.

Hi Desert Eagle:
I have some sucess with WA too (at shallow depth), but when doing macro its all dark
Guess I need some light source afterall.
Waiting to have enough dough for ys-110 and a heinrich converter so that I can do the ttl

Rgrds,
David

Back
Top Bottom