Anyone going to West End May 14th-May25th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't worry cmneus. You'll be fine. I've been there many times by myself, still managed to have a pretty good time . . . and I'm getting to be an old fa. . . um, more mature individual.

I've also met people of all ages at the Barefoot BBQ every Sunday evening. Get there a bit early, sit up at one of the tables under the individual palapa's and people will join your table as the evening progresses. As I said I've met tons of people doing that, and the last couple of times, met couples that adopted me for a week or so. Still tight buddies with one of the couples. And these two couples are considerably younger than I am, so it's not necessarily an age thing. Nice way to meet locals, vacationers, fellow divers, and expat condo owners!

If you have any last minute questions, I will be in West End April 19 to 30.

You can get a SIM from Jorge on the street or pretty much any convenience store. There is a bit more tax on everything now so that 100 lp ($5 USD) SIM might be 102. Get another 100 lp of minutes and you should be good for the whole time with a few calls back to the U.S. I personally have TIGO.

It's a magical place.

Thanks so much for the kind words and advice both of you! I'm sure I'll be fine, it's just my first diving trip in a while so I'm just super pumped and nervous and loaded with expectations......actually I cannot wait to be by myself for a bit (don't tell that to my other half!) but it's nice to know where to find company when I want some!

:)

cmneus! Don't forget to take a little flashlight with you, especially if you go down to the BBQ at Barefoot. I've also forgotten where you decided to stay?

Also, too bad you are leaving on the 25th. I've been contemplating flying over from BZE on the new Tropic Air flight from Belize, just for a couple of days to break up my trip.

Hi Chilly,

I just bought a little flashlight the other day, thank you! :) I'm staying at Chillies and diving with Native Sons but want to participate in the research dives with West Bay Divers for a day too. Contemplating taking a photography course with one of the other dive ops (last time I checked Native Sons didn't offer this) because I don't want to leave without some photos....
I also really want to do a sail to somewhere, nowhere, anywhere....just be out on a sailboat/catamaran in the blue..... Do you know who does a day trip to the little islands for reasonable prices? One that includes diving is major plus.

Really too bad I'm leaving the 25th...would have been nice to do some diving with you! :) Have a great time in Belize and thank you again for all the help....

cmneus! Don't forget to take a little flashlight with you, especially if you go down to the BBQ at Barefoot. I've also forgotten where you decided to stay?

Also, too bad you are leaving on the 25th. I've been contemplating flying over from BZE on the new Tropic Air flight from Belize, just for a couple of days to break up my trip.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2014 at 10:57 PM ----------

Also, I know this is extremely redundant...but ATMs in West End, to use or not to use?????????????

Hit the ATMs early in the day. They empty quickly. There's one at the gas station that is better stocked and may be safer, but not that convenient for someone walking. There have been stories of skimming but I've no idea how true or prevalent.

Sorry can't help with the sailing.

Hope you really enjoy yourself and come back with a great trip report.

It would have been fun to meet up with you. Maybe next time. :)

http://www.zeppelindiveandsail.com/day-trips/
http://sailinginroatan.com/ - no diving

I don't know what boat this is but apparently they're out of Half Moon Bay so they probably tie up at the dock there. http://roatancruiseexcursions.com/CatamaranSnorkelingTour.html

ATM Locations

West Bay: Mayan Princess, and West Bay Mall BAC-Credomatic
West End: Woodys Gas Station, and at the small hotel next to Coconut Tree
Coxen Hole: Credomatic at Plaza Mar, and the Roatan International Airport has two
Coxen Hole Cruise Ship Dock: Town Center Mall’s Banco Ficohsa
French Harbor: Eldons Supermarket
MegaPlaza Mall: Banco Continental, BAC Credomatic, Banpais, and Banco Atlantida
Jackson Plaza: Texaco
- See more at: Roatan Banks - HONDURAS.com

I tried the one near CTD - twice. Never worked. We wound up going to the airport one day after doing a south side dive.

Thank you Diversteve for the links, I will take a look. Also for a list of the ATM locations....I really, really appreciate it.
Thanks again Chilly!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom