Anyone ever use Pinnacle's Evolution Merino Undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I had a little bit of this in another thread. I got a Pinnacle Evolution Merino Undergarment (it is about 650gm insulation) for my DUI drysuit. The one time I dove it, I had to use about 50lbs of weight to get down using recreational gear with an AL80 tank. I do have plenty of "natural buoyancy" about me (I'm 5'6" & 210lbs), I could certainly stand to lose. Back on subject.... I had a White's Drysuit to begin with & the undergarments that came with it were not nearly as thick. With that set up I had to use about 28- 30 lbs of weight, but was still quite cold during my dives, so I switched to the DUI/ Pinnacle set up I have now. When diving the new drysuit a few weeks ago, I automatically weighed with 40lbs to compensate for the extra thickness & loft of the new undergarments. I had a very difficult time getting down (had to pull myself down on a rope) & had a hard time staying down. I then took my weight to 46lbs & could get down, but as soon as my tank got to 900psi, I popped up from a shallow depth (20') & couldn't get back down again. While the undergarment keeps me quite warm now, I'm concerned about the amount of weight I had to use. It seems unusually high. I'm sure a little of the issue (or maybe a lot.... not sure) could be that I am automatically & subconsciously breathing faster & holding more air in response to the cold water, as I'm still not entirely comfortable with really cold water diving, but am working on it, as quarry diving makes up 85% of my diving. I also dive doubles (LP 85's with BP/W basic set up), but haven't had a chance to dive this Drysuit set up with it yet. I'm guessing I may need a little extra weight. With the White's, I needed none & was plenty negative. Just curious how much weight does anyone else who uses this undergarment have to wear. Any suggestions?

A friend of mine does, with 2x12 tanks and a trilam suit he needs 6kg of lead (SS BP included).

I'd suspect the AL80 + the 'rec' gear (jacket or back inflate BC with too much padding/plastic?), steel tank and a SS BP could probably bump it down to sub 40 range.

I have the regular Evolution undergarment, with a single 15L steel tank and a SS BP, need 8 kg of lead in total. You do the math from kg to lbs. :wink:

When diving the new drysuit a few weeks ago, I automatically weighed with 40lbs to compensate for the extra thickness & loft of the new undergarments. I had a very difficult time getting down (had to pull myself down on a rope) & had a hard time staying down. I then took my weight to 46lbs & could get down, but as soon as my tank got to 900psi, I popped up from a shallow depth (20') & couldn't get back down again. While the undergarment keeps me quite warm now, I'm concerned about the amount of weight I had to use. It seems unusually high. I'm sure a litt

I have one, and yes, it requires more weight. Thicker insulation=more trapped air (which is what actually keeps you warm)=more volume of water displaced = more weight required to sink.

However, nobody can tell you if you have too much or too little weight. Only you can do that.

Are you certain that the exhaust valve is fully open and that you're actually venting the suit and that your BC is empty?

In any case, the only way to get a meaningful number for your weights is by doing a buoyancy check with an almost empty tank and all your regular gear.

Terry

I love those undies. Yesterday, after a dive in 9 degree water, I came up sweating! Go figure.

When I switched to them, from my Andy's Undies, which I'd used for years, I thought there'd be more loft, so I tacked on about a kilo and a half more lead (normally use 7kg on the rebreather, with a DSS stainless backplate). Not nearly enough - had a lot of trouble holding the 4.5 meter deco stop at the end of the dive, and ended up grabbing a rock :) Another kilo and a half was about right to sink me.

On the other hand, the things are fantastic; I've never been that warm, and the fit is amazing -- way better than the DUI 400g that I tried on when I bought my latest drysuit.

I used them for the first time last weekend (along with my new Pinnacle freedom drysuit). As others have said, I found them to be warm and comfortable. i was diving in 41deg water with the undies and a union suit and was not cold. I did have to add quite a bit of additional weight when compared to a DUI tri lam drysuit with the DUI grey underwear (24 lbs vs 36lbs pinnacle). I do think I was a little overweighted. I started at 20 lbs went to 26 and still could not stay down at shallow depth. I then went to 36 and had no issues at that point. I'm still working it out. I think 32 lbs will end up being what i need. BTW, I'm using a HP steel 100.

Hi

How was the dive and the new drysuits?

Paul

The dives were great! Sean and I are still working out weighting issues, but the suits performed very well. Both suits were warm and dry. The thickness of the undergarment requires more weight than we thought, but between the two of us we were able to divide what weight we had to enjoy the dives. The merino hood is great! Very warm in 41deg water. I brought an ice cap along but didn't need it. The suits were easy to don and doff and had good range of motion. The si-tek gloves worked very well too. Per their instructions, we ended up donning the glove liner first and then putting on the suit. This allowed the gloves to be vented which worked very well. We were both happy with the fit of the wrist and neck seals as well. Its safe to say we are very pleased with our pinnacle freedom's!

Excellent! Thanks

Paul

Back
Top Bottom