Anyone ever tell you that DIR = crazy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1000 dives worth of experience isn't worth anything if you do not continually learn, re-evaluate and challenge your own beliefs and assumptions. That is what experience is about. Otherwise, it is not 1,000 dives, it is 1 dive 1,000 times!!

Ken

Originally posted by JimC
My instructor, while not neccisarily ordinary, dives DIR when not "on the job" for NAUI.
I guess he wouldn't show his DIR equipment to his class. This is a real pity. Tell him to at least expose his class to the alternatives.

Hi,
Want to avoid what O-Ring went through. An instructor like that is something I would love to avoid. Since the LDSs that I called did not know what BP/Wings were I'm not sure how they would react to DIR gear if I used it.

Originally posted by java

I guess he wouldn't show his DIR equipment to his class. This is a real pity. Tell him to at least expose his class to the alternatives.

One of my AOW (PADI) instructors ran a DIR rig [in the class]. The 7 ft hose worked out great when he was feeding the divemaster and didn't have to worry about yoyoing between 10 and 20 ft during the safety stop.

kwesler You are exactly right. I continuely push myself everytime I'm in the water..pool or o/w.

Originally posted by java
One of my reservations is that my local LDS / Dive boat would be cluless or anti DIR making it not worth getting such gear (not due to being looked down upon but of them being scared of letting me dive the equip).
I'm confused about why a boat would not let you dive the eqip. (By the way, I am not DIR.) You would have a very well built and reliable bouancy device, you have an octo hanging in the triangle (between the chin and both hips) as supported by the major angencies, you would have a high quality primary on a 5/7 foot hose (maybe longer than some are used to but the application to tech diving is obvious.) Knife, compass, pressure gauge. So, where's the beef? The only complaint that I have ever heard is not that the equip setup isn't good but that folkes don't like the way some people go about proselyting their views. :confused:

Landlocked,

I agree completely with what you said.

The only thing I have heard from people who are against the system is that the backup (octo) is bungeed. In OW classes they teach you to go for the reg that is hanging but when you go with the bungee backup it is now attached to you and they have to get the primary if it is needed. My personal opinion is that this should be covered in the predive planning so it shouldn't be an issue.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom