Anyone ever dive Allen Henry near Lubbock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigred177

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A friend of mine lost some fishing gear while at lake Allen Henry the other weekend and asked me and my buddy if we would help him find it. He has a gps position on it and it is sitting in about 47' of water. I was wondering if anyone here has ever been diving there and what the conditions were like.

I will need the exact GPS coordinates before I can help.....:joke:... I checked the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. website and this is what I came up with :

Fishing Alan Henry Reservoir

If you are going to dive it, be careful of the trees!

Lake Characteristics

Location: 45 miles south of Lubbock and 4 miles east of Justiceburg on the Double Mountain of the Brazos River
Surface area: 2,880 acres
Maximum depth: 100 ft; mean depth 40 ft.
Impounded: 1993
Water Conditions

Current Lake Level
Conservation Pool Elevation: 2,220 ft. msl
Fluctuation: Moderate, 2-4 ft. per year
Normal Clarity: Murky to clear, visibility 1-4 ft.
Reservoir Controlling Authority

City of Lubbock
3096 Lake Alan Henry Road
Justiceburg, Texas 79330
Dam office: (806) 629-4430
Permit office for fishing & boating information: (806) 629-4259
Aquatic Vegetation

Vegetation in the lake is primarily flooded trees.
Predominant Fish Species

Lake Records
Current Fishing Report
Stocking History
Lake Maps

A general information map is available from the Brazos River Authority (information above). Sporting goods and tackle stores sell maps of lakes, especially those lakes in the local area.
Fishing Regulations

This lake has special regulations on black bass. For largemouth bass, there is no minimum length limit. For smallmouth and spotted bass, the minimum length is 18 inches. Daily bag limit for all species of black bass is 5 bass, of which no more than 3 can be either smallmouth or spotted bass. Up to 5 largemouth bass may be retained, but no more than 2 of these can be less than 18 inches. All other fishes are currently managed under statewide regulations.
Angling Opportunities

Largemouth bass are the most popular species in the reservoir. This lake has produced a number of lunker size fish (13 pounds or larger.) Several have been entered in the Budweiser ShareLunker program. Alan Henry was stocked with Alabama spotted bass as the reservoir filled. These spotted bass grow much larger and faster than our native spotted bass and can reach 4+ pounds. Crappie are abundant in Alan Henry Reservoir. There are no white bass or walleye in the lake. Smallmouth bass were stocked, but have not developed a significant population.
SpeciesPoorFairGoodExcellentLargemouth Bass
largemouth.gif
Smallmouth Bass
smallmouth.gif
Spotted Bass
spotbss.gif
Catfish
catfish.gif
Crappie
crappie.gif
Sunfish
sunfish.gif

Fishing Cover/Structure

Structure in the reservoir is primarily rock and flooded timber. The lake is very narrow and the shoreline is very steep. There are small areas of aquatic vegetation in some of the coves.
Tips & Tactics

Largemouth bass can be caught on a wide variety of baits depending on season and water conditions. The best season for bass fishing is spring when water temperatures reach about 55-60 degrees. Common fishing lures include plastic worms, spinner baits and crank baits. There is ample habitat around the lake so anglers have a lot of area to choose from. The lake gets a lot of fishing pressure, especially during the weekends in spring and summer. Most of the spotted bass are located near the dam. To distinguish spotted bass from largemouth bass you need to hold the mouth closed and look at how far back it reaches. If the mouth goes past the orbit of the eye, the fish is a largemouth. If it reaches to the center of the eye it is a spotted bass. Good catches of crappie are frequently found around the fishing pier and in flooded timber in the arms of the reservoir in the spring and fall. Crappie are best caught with jigs or minnows vertically fished around structure.

We did a recovery operation there for a (still) missing boater, used side scan for searches but didn't conduct dive operations due to some issues with the Lubbock FD Chief. We did pass some target findings onto the FD for them to use their divers, to which the chief said no.

Check with Chad Seay w/ Southwest Aquasports. He trains the Lubbock FD dive team there quiet often.

Sounds like a grand fishin lake.

I'd be watchin' out for the old fences as well, they are barbed too. You know, when I lived in Lubbock some people said that the trees out there only get in the way of the view!

If you have to duck it when riding a horse, it's a tree. If your horse has to jump over it, it's "brush".

So I guess the mesquite could be both.:D

thank you for all the information.

If you are going to dive it, be careful of the trees!

that is the one thing that im worried about. im even considering having my buddy wear some weight on a belt just in case we need to take some gear off to get something untangled.

Well, just got back from lookin around down there. When their report says 4ft vis they are being generous. once we got to about 35 ft not even my light would cut through the muck. I had my light out in front of me and ended up sticking it in the silt before i even saw the bottom. Me and my buddy tied ourselves together with about 6ft of rope and i had to pull him in if I wanted to communicate, we couldn't see hardly anything. Then we lost the down line from the boat and had to head to the shore by a heading I had taken before the dive. It was interesting swimming mid water with no reference point at all. The only thing i could see was my compass when i held it about 6 inches from my face. After about a 250 yard swim we surfaced right on the shore line perpendicular to the boat. Those trees down there have a tendency to reach out and grab you even when you are looking for them. So after all was said and done we had about a 23 minute bottom time and wouldn't have been able to see what we were looking for if we had fallen right on top of it. It was an interesting dive and a learning experience. I think i may go over to Blue hole so i can at least see where I'm going on the way down. Anyone want to join?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom