Anyone else like shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know there is nothing like Molokini and such but we saw plenty of sharks, sea turtles and fish galore diving from the shores. . . . Many times dive boats pulled up into the coves we dove packed with divers that spent plenty of money.
I know that it is not for everyone and having been on many dive boats its definitely great having a dive master and the like but when my son and now maybe my daughter too the cost can be prohibitive. . . . In the keys we had no choice as wreck dives are the big attraction and i spent a small fortune there. . . . Just wondering what your thoughts were.
It all depends on where you are. In Bonaire, I prefer shore diving - when we do shop trips there, we include 3 half-day boat dives in the package, and I go on them to be a faithful staff member. But, if it were my choice I would not bother. Off the coast of NC, I would go with the charter boat every time. In the Keys, the same - I need a boat ride, even if it is short, to get to where I want to go.

Having done wrecks out of Pompano, and surfaced so close to the shore that I felt I could swim in, I have often felt - 'Gee, I could have just entered the water at the shore.' But, I doubt that would have been very efficient.

We own a boat. I have figured the cost of diving off the boat is $1000 a trip. Makes local charters look REAL attractive!

Someone must be sneaking bananas aboard!

N

TSandM:
We own a boat. I have figured the cost of diving off the boat is $1000 a trip. Makes local charters look REAL attractive!

I do believe that, every single time we have ever taken the boat out for diving, something has broken that has necessitated a trip to the boat hospital, and their rock bottom fee, as far as I can tell, is $1000.

Don't, for the life of you, buy a boat unless: You are an electrician, a mechanic, a woodworker, a welder, and someone experienced in detailing vehicles. AND you enjoy doing all those things. We aren't, we don't, and the financial hemorrhage has been frightful.

Well, it depends on the size of the boat. You can get out and dive in a simple RIB or SIB with an outboarder, and for those you only need to be somewhat proficient with a basic toolkit. I've got a semi-open glass fiber 18-footer with an outboarder, and except for service costs for the motor about once a year and some basic maintenance every spring and fall, it's not particularly expensive or time-consuming.

If you're talking about a large(ish) boat, capable of going far off shore, that's of course quite another matter. And a wood hull? That's when you basically pay to not have any free time anymore (or, as you put it, a frightening financial hemorrhage).

Haven't fished the yellows or the yellowfin tuna or calico bass since I gave up the boat.
Did go on a limited load out of fisherman's landing in San Diego once but never again.
Tuna fisherman on an open party overnight boat can be downright rude and nasty.
No manners and no common sense. I've lost many a nice fish from someone casting over me or not staying with their fish.
Those guys make the worst day on a dive boat like a walk in the park.
Fisherman are like hunters. They paid money and they want to bag a tuna. Divers just want to get in the water and look around.
Different mind set. Much nicer environment.
Having a boat really give you freedom if you fish.
RT

I do believe that, every single time we have ever taken the boat out for diving, something has broken that has necessitated a trip to the boat hospital, and their rock bottom fee, as far as I can tell, is $1000.

Don't, for the life of you, buy a boat unless: You are an electrician, a mechanic, a woodworker, a welder, and someone experienced in detailing vehicles. AND you enjoy doing all those things. We aren't, we don't, and the financial hemorrhage has been frightful.

The way to solve this is to dive from it more often, thereby raising the denominator in the cost/frequency equation :)

That does sort of stink though, sounds like you've had a bit of bad luck. While expensive, it shouldn't be THAT extreme.

Disagree with the above post.

Shore diving allows you to do what you want and avoid the crowds. The freedom is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this - I love the freedom of hopping in when I (and my wife) want and diving whatever plan that I (and my wife) chose. Following the herd is my least favorite part of boat diving (as in your traditional warm water vacation style dive trip). I'm well aware that you can do boat dives in FL where no guide is put in the water (which we've done and enjoyed) and that you may be able to convince a dive op that you won't be following the rest of the group in other locations.

On a side note, I fail to see how this is an Advanced Scuba discussion

Although many destinations have access to shore diving (meaning you can get wet), but not all have what I would consider to be really good shore diving! So for me it's really not a boat dive vs. shore dive question, it's about researching the destination in order to get a realistic expectation in order to have the best dive experience based on what the location has to offer. Here is a short article on the subject:

The Joy of Shore Diving

Back
Top Bottom