Anyone diving the Gulf Coast 4/8?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

High tide at Destin Jetties is at a pretty reasonable time, if only I could find a ride...

SuPrBuGmAn:
High tide at Destin Jetties is at a pretty reasonable time, if only I could find a ride...

If I decide to come over, I'd be happy to pick you up/drop you off. Gotta be a 1-day trip, though...

And, I'll need to rent Reg/BCD/Tanks. Are they available at the Park?

Several diveshops in Destin, infact, several very good dive shops. Just noticed that the 8th was on a Friday. Any chance on a Saturday dive? I work M-F. Water has already cleared up for the most part from the storms this past week.

Friday is a neap, there wont' be as much clear water being pushed into the pass. Saturday has a nice tidal swing though.

F 8 High 1:33 AM 0.3
8 Low 6:01 AM 0.3
8 High 10:54 AM 0.5
8 Low 9:22 PM 0.0

Sa 9 High 10:56 AM 0.6
9 Low 10:26 PM -0.1

I could meet you on I-10, its easy enough to get a ride that far. Sucks having your liscense taken away :)

SuPrBuGmAn:
Several diveshops in Destin, infact, several very good dive shops. Just noticed that the 8th was on a Friday. Any chance on a Saturday dive? I work M-F. Water has already cleared up for the most part from the storms this past week.

Friday is a neap, there wont' be as much clear water being pushed into the pass. Saturday has a nice tidal swing though.

F 8 High 1:33 AM 0.3
8 Low 6:01 AM 0.3
8 High 10:54 AM 0.5
8 Low 9:22 PM 0.0

Sa 9 High 10:56 AM 0.6
9 Low 10:26 PM -0.1

I could meet you on I-10, its easy enough to get a ride that far. Sucks having your liscense taken away :)

I could only do Saturday or Sunday. Saturday looks flat calm. Friday looks 2-3ft swells.

The wife and I are talking about making an "escape" to the beach this weekend. (To Destin.) If so, I'll bring my gear for a Jetty Dive if you guys are going.

BUt right now I'd say since we haven't booked a room yet that I wouldn't give us much more than 20% shot of being there right now. (just want to give honest odds up front on us.)

Do you guys usually dive 1 or 2 tanks on the jetties?
Also, what are water temps? is a 3mm full or a 5mm farmer john top enough?

-Mike

paulwall:
I could only do Saturday or Sunday. Saturday looks flat calm. Friday looks 2-3ft swells.

Saturday would be excellent with me :)

So could I twist your arm for a ride out? I know the area and know where to get in, we can usually use pull off two tanks before the tide starts pumping too bad.

Interested?

SuPrBuGmAn:
Saturday would be excellent with me :)

So could I twist your arm for a ride out? I know the area and know where to get in, we can usually use pull off two tanks before the tide starts pumping too bad.

Interested?

Just need to work out the gear rental, and firm up the plans for Saturday. I should know something for sure Weds. AM, and will PM you my cell #. I'm at 76% certain right now (the wife is going to kill me, I just got back from a diving vacation and put my gear in the shop).

Does the Shop at the park rent gear, or is it just tank fills? I suppose I could stop by Scubatech, etc.

Destin jetties are located on a public beach, its not a State Park(you're thinking of St. Andrews in Panama City). ScubaTech and Emerald Coast are two great shops in Destin that can fill whatever and they both have lots of rental equipment.

http://www.scubatechnwfl.com/index.html <--ScubaTech
http://www.divedestin.com/ <--Emerald Coast

It'd be best to get there at 10AMish to gear up and make the hike through the sand. This would allow us the best chance to get two dives in.

I'm 1.5-2hours from Destin, if this goes though, I could meet you at a gas station at Exit 44(Loxley, AL exit) so you wouldn't have to deviate too far off the interstate.

If you don't have tanks, I can bring 2 for you as well.

Water temps are in the high 60sºF, I'll be wearing a 3mm and probably gloves incase we do dive some current and I need to latch to the bottom to pull myself along. Leaving the hood at home :wink: thank God for warmer temps!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Destin jetties are located on a public beach, its not a State Park(you're thinking of St. Andrews in Panama City).

It'd be best to get there at 10AMish to gear up and make the hike through the sand. This would allow us the best chance to get two dives in.

I'm 1.5-2hours from Destin, if this goes though, I could meet you at a gas station at Exit 44(Loxley, AL exit) so you wouldn't have to deviate too far off the interstate.

If you don't have tanks, I can bring 2 for you as well.

Yeah, I was confused about St Andrews/Destin.

I'd leave here about 5:30-6, pick you up around 8-8:30, stop by Scubatech for the gear and hit the parking area around 10-10:30ish Dive 'til 12:30 or so, and reverse the procedure.

I'll PM you my cell # tomorrow when I'm sure we are a definite go.

Back
Top Bottom