Anyone dive San Salvador?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhelmuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I are looking for reasonably priced dive vacation, and she would really like to go to San Salvador. We are not really that interested in other tourist activities as we want to focus on diving. At least 2 (if not 3) dives per day and we'd like to dive at least 5 of the 7 days (if not 6).
Anyone have any additional recomendations (on other destinations in the Bahamas) or recent experiences in San Salvador which may be helpful to a real hot value/deal.

Diving interests:
* Photography
* Slow explorations of reefs
* Walls
* Interesting combinations of sea-life and habitat
(all in less than 120FSW)

Yes, several times, and I suspect that you'd like it.

Best bet might be to read the review of San Sal/Riding Rock in the June '01 issue of Undercurrent http://www.undercurrent.org/

Best regards.

DocVikingo

This may not fit your bill if you're set on 7 days, but the shop we went with to San Sal last July is running another trip .May 22-26 and if I knew how I'd attach their e-mail notice. So the best I can do is give you their contact info. divemaster@h2oscuba.com Tell Henry you got a recommendation from John & Jean about the San Sal trip and He'll e-mail you the info. His shops site is www.h20scuba.com but this trip is not yet posted. San Sal has every thing you wish to do.
The people at RR are great. While some wished to be guided to tunnels etc, my wife likes to poke along at our own pace (never should've bought that darn camera) and as long as you show up at the boat with some air left, no problem. Most our dives were close to an hour depending on depth, and we never were rushed. As I said, very good people. Henry runs great trips, well organized from start to finish.

I'm really tempted to take this trip, but we have an aggressor trip planned two weeks later and I have'nt been able to sell the wife that the San Sal trip would be a good break in trip. Whatever you decide enjoy yourselves.

Club Med in San Salvador (or Columbus Isle as they like to call it) also has scuba diving. My wife and I dove there several years ago (our first diving experience!), and liked the diving quite a bit. Having said that, however, if you're planning to focus mainly on diving I would recommend against Club Med, as their diving operation, while adequate, tended to cancel some dives for less than completely convincing reasons... That particular Club Med, however, is quite nice if you're into the all-inclusive resort thing.

Have fun!

Scubabear,

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a try on the trip. I think my wife may have already done some booking with RR - but I haven't checked with her yet. I am very greatful for endorsements as it lends a confidence that we will really have a good time. Time and money are scarce for us - so we need to take advantage of others experiences to know we are getting a good value.

Happy bubbles,

Jim

A great way to dive San Sal and nearby islands is aboard the Nekton Rorqual - Southern Bahamas Route

They have excellent moorings directly over VERY NICE walls and reefs. Lots of swim-throughs, steep walls with loads of lush black coral but also nice reefs for subsequent dives. Dive sites are comparable to the best of Cayman and Belize.

Boat moves at night and during lunch so usually 2 different dive sites each day for 6 days. Dive deck is open for a long morning session, then a long afternoon session plus night dives after dinner and educational ops. Expect to be fed constantly!

Update...

We're off to San Salvador Sept 10th thru the 18th. Thanks again to all. We booked our own resv. and got a really great deal. Including air/trans/etc. we'll spend less than $3000 for 2 (incl. rt from Tampa Intl. but not incl. tips). Thanks RR and AA!

I have been diving there twice with Club Med. As mentioned earlier it is a beautiful club with lots to do topside. I haven't been to Riding Rock, but hear good things. The diving 2 years ago was excellent. Nice walls with little to no damage of any kind. Not as much macro as other destinations such as Little Cayman but lots of turtles, sponges, corals and fish life. Our underwater photos were the best ever. We saw a a group (pod, herd, what do you call a group of sharks besides terrifying?) of 15 hammerheads one day.

Speaking of San Salvador - has anyone heard anything from there? The local news said this morning the island has been cut off with no communication for 12 hours. It is a small and relatively flat island and the eye of Frances went right over the island. Hope all is well there and no one was hurt.

Hello,

Planning a trip to San Salvador this December. I have read so many great things about the diving there. We will be staying at the Club Med. Just wondering about transporting my gear and what if any weight or baggage limits there may be or problems anyone may have ran into while getting to the island.

Has anyone been there during December and if so what should I expect as far as the diving and what critters I may see this time of year?

Has anyone dove with Club Med and RRI and can give me a comparison?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom