Anyone been to Turneffe Island in late Oct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carbomb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are planning a trip to Turneffe Island Resort in late Oct and were wondering what the weather is like in Oct and if anyone else from the SB was planning to go in that time frame. It will be our first trip to Belize so any information would be appreciated.

Hello
I went to Turneffe Flats in October a few years ago and had a fine time. I will admit I only saw the sun while waiting for the boat to take me to the resort, and again on returning to the airport, but the cloud cover and constant wind made the bugs much more bearable. There were virtually no bugs on the beach except one brief afternoon when the wind died down and the sun peaked through and I sat on a lounge to read and quickly gave up on that. I tried to walk around the mangroves near the resort, and the bugs were HUNGRY so you could not stop for a minute. But don't let that stop you - I had a really great week of diving and would do it again
John

October is often the rainiest month in Belize and last October it rained nonstop for practically the whole month. October is also generally not windy at all and can be stiflingly hot when it is not pouring down rain while November is generally more likely to have winds from cold fronts starting to come down. Some people may have had exceptions and seen different things but I have been living out on the cayes here in Belize for twelve years and I have never seen a predominantly dry October nor have I ever seen a very windy one without a hurricane being very close, which is another problem with October. Get travel insurance, expect rain and overcast, and stay underwater a lot and you may like it.

Thatch Caye..Thanks for the information, would you recommend an early Sept or mid Nov trip? I plan on getting trip insurance because of possible hurricanes. Thx, Mark

Definitely early September. The breezes are still from the east and are warm and don't usually get more than 15 knots but November brings cold fronts that shift the wind to the north northwest at up to 25 to 30 knots which makes diving conditions much less favorable. If you get lucky in November, you hit Belize when no coldfronts are near and you have a great time. If you are unlucky, you have 25 to 30 knot winds for five days straight with grey skies and drizzly rains. It can rain in September but squalls generally pass the cayes quickly with the trade winds. Also, since October is so rainy, visibility in November can be much worse than September. This last year November got us down to thirty-forty feet vis here in the south (about an hour boat ride from Turneffe elbow) and it took till mid December to get back to sixty feet and now it is well over that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom