Anyone been to Sugar Wreck off GBI West End?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for replying fisheyeview!

We were put in touch with the boat by the former owner of West End Water Sports who is now working for the OBB putting together a water sports program. I am sure the snorkeling will be fine and if we insist I bet he will take us out for the shallow Sugar Wreck dive.

What has been your experience with diving in the area? Have you been to Sugar Wreck? Is there any other good diving within an hour by boat of the West End?

Thanks also for the tips on the drinks. The fool moon party sounds great too. Ayooooooooo!

Robert

There is plenty of diving along the bank. The good reefs and drop offs start about 20 minutes north. You are looking at the 40' - 70' range with these dives. The Sugar Wreck is good. You can either dive it or snorkle it.

From Memory Rock north to where the bank curves to the east toward Walkers the diving is kick ass.

Well, I got some pretty definitive news today about diving off the West End. It seems the only possibility is chartering out of Free Port and then there is still a problem getting tanks since the dive operators will not rent them out. They want 2500 dollars for up to ten people on a 26 foot boat with twin Mercs and they are willing to pick us up at the OBB. They say it is a 70 mile trip from Freeport.

We are going to have to snorkel and will charter the local twenty foot Mako and guide to take us out the 26 miles from the West End.

It's kind of a bummer about not being able to dive out on the West End but what can you do?

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom