Anyone been to Langkawi???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Well they say the Irish are just the Welsh who could swim!

I lived in Cardiff for many years. Can't place Ystrad Fawr in Bridgend but I used to drive through Bridgend most Saturdays in the winter on the way to play golf in Porthcawl.

You've only misspelt it slightly - I think you mean Llangennith on the Gower.

Regards

Philip

Hey Mick
If you are in Langkawi and want to dive, you don't have much choice but to go to Payar.
It's true that on bad days the vis is really s***, like diving in milk, but on good days, you see wonderful things at Coral Garden - i've been told that there are even seahorses and ghost pipefish there apart from the groupers etc etc.
It all really depends on how lucky you are - but isn't that the case with all dive trips???
Just try to avoid diving during the full moon...
Good luck!:)

Hey, Mick - I visited Langkawi 3 years ago in July. It was before my diving days but I did notice the water was cloudy when I was trying to snorkel. That might have been the time of year, however.

We stayed at The Datai and the monkeys there were charming playing and swimming (yes, swimming - underwater) in the stream that ran through the grounds.

Diving monkeys??

Anyway, even if you're not diving Langkawi's very relaxing for 5 days. Enjoy. I've attached a photo of Datai Bay to whet your appetite

and it was a fantastic place. The people were freindly, and courteous, the food was awesome. Try Haji Ramli's on Pantai Cenang for the BEST fish restaurant on the planet.

Pulau Payar is one of only two places to dive on Langkawi, the other place is Pulau Segantang. Not many dive operators go there as there is nothing to do except dive and catch some rays (sun that is not manta) Viz can be pants, can also be 25metres. Seen, humpback whales, pilot whales, manta, whale sharks and even a bull shark. But the best are the shy pink dolphins you see on the way home.

But upon checking you will have already been ... :wink:

Dear Belushi,
Man you were lucky to live is such a great place - we've been twice and also loved the people and food (Roti Boom was out favorite ! ) We always went end of December and left early January have done 15 or so dives and none of thm were memorable, I think season bad ??? Off to Okinawa end of this month. Where are you now ?
Take care - who'll win the World Cup ?
MIke

Back
Top Bottom