Anyone been to Jamaica recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duca

Reaction score
I'll be staying in the Dunn's River area at the end of Nov, wondering if anyone can give me the heads up. It'll be my first trip down there. The trip will not be centered on Diving, though we want to spend at least a day or two in the water.

I was in Montego Bay last November for a family vacation (not a serious dive trip), but couldn't resist the urge. I went down to Jack Tarr Village with a friend a went out on a very spartan dive boat with the worst ladder I've ever seen. The wall is close to shore (fortunately!) and should have been beautiful - it had a sheer vertical face. The problem was there was nothing to see. It was sad, having seen the fantastic walls of Cayman and Turks and Caicos.

I went back the next day, but the conditions were rough and the "boat" wasn't going out which was probably a good thing.

By the way, if you like Dunn's, there is a fantastic waterfall across the island called Ys Falls that is fabulous. We took a rental car to see it and the nearby Appleton Rum Factory. The drive was the scariest thing I ever did! Be very careful driving there.

One other great spot is a bird sanctuary on a hill near Montego Bay. You hand feed hummingbirds in this beautiful garden setting. It's a lot cooler than it sounds.

Of course, this was out of Montego Bay which is a moderate distance from Dunn's.

Thanks for the info... and welcome to the board (although I'm realatively new myself....).

I've heard over and over again that the diving there is less than spectacular. Like yours, my trip was not planned around diving.

I do not want to ruin your trip, but it is worth mentioning. Someone my wife works with, went to Jamaica for marriage celebration. His wife took sick, passed out and died before a doctor could get to their room. To make a long story short, some one slipped her a poison. As it turns out this is not uncommon . The FBI has interviewed my wives friend and does not feel he was involved.
I am sure you will have a fun and safe trip. But take care.
mike

I was in Jamaica a couple of years ago on a cruise and I was less than impressed with the snorkeling. And Montego Bay is where we docked, the town is a total DUMP. Most of what you see in the town is a cross between the local sanitation dump and a ghetto.

I would not want to dive those waters for fear of contaminants running in. And the water there is very unsafe to drink. I would make sure to pack a good supply of bottled water.

Of course this was 2 years ago and maybe the money made from tourists and the cruise lines has helped to improve it.

Let us know how it was when you get back!

Is it all bad in Jamaica? Or are some spots less despoiled than others? Anyone dived Discovery Bay?

-Simon

Originally posted by simonk999
Is it all bad in Jamaica? Or are some spots less despoiled than others? Anyone dived Discovery Bay?

-Simon

No I have heard from people who have visited other areas and it is really nice. Like Negril is one of the top 10 beaches in the world. If it had been in the area I was no one would have wanted to see it.

So Jamaica is a lot like Puerto Rico. It has it's good and it's bad!

Jsut checked whats new in here. Was really surprised to see basically negative responses on diving in Jamaica.
For the future visitors of this thread i will leave my advice:
We were in Jamaica last year Feb.. First diving we did around Ochos Rios, Resort - Club Ambiance - my recomendations - nice staff, diving arrangements, reasonably atractive dive sites, though not much fish there - overfishing.
I sincerely do not recomend to dive from resort "Couples" in Negril. That was really the worst diving I ever had - arrogant staff, rotten equipment...no comment.
Normunds

I'm so sorry that Normunds had such a horrible time while scuba diving at Couples Negril in Jamaica. My husband and I were there for our honeymoon last September and it was wonderful!!!! the equipment was great and the staff was very friendly. Sugar, the divemaster, was great!

I was in Jamica about 4 years ago and took the Sandel's dive course and loved it. We stayed at Dunns River and we were waited on hand and foot. I don't know if you are staying at a Sandels, but if you are you are going to have a great trip. Don't venture out on your own. Take only group trips off the property. The markets are scarey:eek: they love to pull girl into the tents, just tell them you are out of money. Snorkeling was great, also climb Dunns Falls. You can get great jewelry deals if you look for them.

Have a great trip. Wish I was going back.:jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom