Anyone been to Honiara by themselves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaneMitchell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,
I love wrecks and live in Australia and really want to dive out of Honiara for a few days...only problem is all my dive buddies are busy or broke. So has anyone been to Honiara and can you shed any light on if you'd go there by yourself?
Cheers
Jane

Hi,

I've been there twice recently.

If you're wanting to dive out of Honiara it's quite good, there's Bonegi 1, 2 & 3 all within 15 - 30 mins drive.

All are shore dives that can feature reefs, wrecks (incl. penetration) abundant marine life and it's possible to hit 60 +/- metres if desired.

Aside from that there's the USS John Penn accessible via charter or further afield there's a B-17 and a Japanese Sub to dive on.

Check out this link for a list of all the dive sites, it's mostly up to date.

Going as a single white female should pose no problems as long as your sensible. There are many that live and work in Honiara.
Of course if you're looking to hit the town avoid the dodgy clubs, recommendations would be The Captain's Bar, or Club Extreme or any of the hotel bars anywhere else you'd be advised to go with someone that lives locally.
Daily eating everyone goes to The Lime Lounge and the food is genuinely good even if it does take forever to get to you.

I thoroughly recommend using Tulagi Dive as your dive shop, Neil is the best in the business and despite the name he is now located in Honiara. His local staff are first rate and his two instructors are second to none ( though they are good friends of mine so maybe I'm biased).

Hope I've been of some help and if you'd like to know more, drop me an email. I'll send you some pics.

Dammit, I wanna go back now...

My girlfriend and I are off to The Solomons in August and REALLY want to dive Iron Bottom Sound. I was told to get in touch with Tulagi Dive, but am having trouble with ANY kind of contact. First of all there's no reply from the email I send, 2nd the phone numbers on the website don't work, 3rd I contact Vanita Motel, where they used to operate out of and the person on the other end of the phone said the Neil had moved Tulagi Dive to Honiara. The 3rd reason must be why I can't get hold of Neil. Having been there recently Deceter, do you know of updated contact details I can use?

It sounds like an awesome place to dive wrecks, as we're both recently tech certified too we'd love to get some experience on some wrecks.

Any information would be great.

Rich

Hi,

I've been there twice recently.

If you're wanting to dive out of Honiara it's quite good, there's Bonegi 1, 2 & 3 all within 15 - 30 mins drive.

All are shore dives that can feature reefs, wrecks (incl. penetration) abundant marine life and it's possible to hit 60 +/- metres if desired.

Aside from that there's the USS John Penn accessible via charter or further afield there's a B-17 and a Japanese Sub to dive on.

Check out this link for a list of all the dive sites, it's mostly up to date.

Going as a single white female should pose no problems as long as your sensible. There are many that live and work in Honiara.
Of course if you're looking to hit the town avoid the dodgy clubs, recommendations would be The Captain's Bar, or Club Extreme or any of the hotel bars anywhere else you'd be advised to go with someone that lives locally.
Daily eating everyone goes to The Lime Lounge and the food is genuinely good even if it does take forever to get to you.

I thoroughly recommend using Tulagi Dive as your dive shop, Neil is the best in the business and despite the name he is now located in Honiara. His local staff are first rate and his two instructors are second to none ( though they are good friends of mine so maybe I'm biased).

Hope I've been of some help and if you'd like to know more, drop me an email. I'll send you some pics.

Dammit, I wanna go back now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom