Anyone been to Cocos in Late Nov/Early Dec.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eau_Girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've read some great trip reports from several people on their Cocos Island liveaboad experiences.:D

I wanted to see if anyone has been to Cocos in late November/early December. What were the conditions like up top at that time of year? What was the marine life like at that time?

If you've done the trip at different times in the year, how did they compare?

Thanks in advance!

Last year we were in Cocos in May and again in mid-November.
May - rough crossing to the island, lots and lots of hammers, dolphins, one whaleshark, weather was rainy for the first two days then sunny and nice for the rest of the week. Some current on the first few dives then really nothing much after that. Water temps low to mid 70s.
Nov - smooth crossings both ways, not as many hammers, thermocline sometimes at 50 ft (65F), lots of mantas, eagle rays, mobulas, lots of fish in general, SCREAMING currents for most of the week. Water temps low 70s.
This year we are going late June / early July which is supposed to be prime season for the wildlife. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my first whaleshark.

Hope this helps.

Go to the trip reports at underseahunter.com and at aggressor.com. They go back quite a few years.

Thanks all for the reports. I'm going. I know it's not the prime season but diving in Cocos isn't bad at any time of the year from the research I have done.

I'll have to post a trip report when I'm back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom