anyone been diving recently at the jetties in corpus, Port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kd5uwg

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has any one been diving at the jetties around corpus, port a, packery channel or the like. Just looking to see if any one has been out and a bout in these areas. Im thinking of driving to that area in a couple weeks to maybe do a little jetty diving. If anyone might be interested. Im waiting on the water to warm a bit more since i dont have a wetsuit thatll fit currently. I do have a xl 3mil farmer john and an xl 7mil farmer john I need to sell so i can purchase a larger wetsuit, theese are older suits but still in good shape.

Calvin

Sorry for double post, my fingers got stupid and i hit enter and it posted before i was finished the first time id delete the first post if i could.

calvin

I have not dove the jetties (I assume you mean the T heads) in Corpus or Packery Channel. I have dove the jetties in Port A quite some time ago. It is not a dive to be undertaken lightly. You have to plan for the change in the tide as the current in the channel is incredibly swift during the change of the tide (both in and out). You also must be prepared to contend with a veritable forest of monofilament fishing line in conditions of relatively poor visibility (as I recall about 10 feet). That being said, you can see some neat stuff (e.g. flame scallops), sergeant majors, sheepshead, and other inshore fish. You can also collect lost fishing gear (I got a nice Abu Garcia rod and reel that wasn't corroded at all).

I have never heard of anyone diving in Corpus Christi Bay, but I suppose it could be done. Tidal currents are less of a concern there. The vis in the lagunas is low (6 feet and less) and there are bull sharks in those waters. They can sense you, but you can't see them--not the best situation.

That being said, have fun and good luck!

We dove the jetties last weekend, or at least the group I went with did. The jelleis were horrible on Sat. but they said they got better on Sun. I was wearing a 3mm suit and the water was perfect, been around 73-76 on the surf report dialy. Vis was about 3 inches but this is the time of year. I am new to SCUBA buy grew up fishing here and from my experience and what I have been told in about a month it should be pretty good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom