anybody used inflatable in Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJStateRanger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Was wondering if anyone has any experience using inflatalbe's in the Fla. Keys? Such as sea-eagle, avon, etc. Any problems around the reef's(coral)?

NJStateRanger:
Was wondering if anyone has any experience using inflatalbe's in the Fla. Keys? Such as sea-eagle, avon, etc. Any problems around the reef's(coral)?

long time ago,late 70's early 80's I used to drive down in a van with 14' zodiac w/35 hp motor..no problems at all,just pick your days..took up to 4 divers out,usually 3 with full gear..

Well, since coral is protected your really not supposed to hit it with your boat and therefore it should not be an issue. You cannot anchor just any ol' place either by tossing your anchor on top of the reef. The distances to some of the better known spots are further than most small inflatibles find comfortable but still possible.

N

Thanks gentleman for the help. I know the reefs are protected but I also know accidents do happen. I have talked to marine police down there before who advised due to people not knowing waters the reefs do get hit. I guess I am really questioning the material. Most all companies seem to do a good job. I am heading down there in April to dive so I am looking at all advantages/disadvantages. Once again thank you for your help.

Inflatibles bounce off of rock and fiberglass boat get holes in them and aluminum boats get large dents.

Stay off the coral, accidents don't happen if you take precautions. You must anchor within the park on the mooring balls. I do not believe they allow open anchoring anymore. You need to get a GPS marine unit, fish finder with maps etc so you can find your way without hitting the reef. Yes it is expensive, so is hitting the reef if it sinks you and they FINE you. For under five hundred dollars you can get a marine fishfinder/GPS with maps, "green" begins with the individual, if that is what it takes to keep you off the reef then either get one and learn to use it or do not go. N

Dove off a 14' Avon with a 35hp Suzuki in the early 1990's. The Avon was a hard bottom model and never really had any issues running aground. I doubt the boat took much more than 6'' of water to operate. Your range is limited unless you start taking extra tanks. But you can still cover alot of ground and not use 6 gal.

Inflatables work just fine - weather permitting. Marathon Coast Guard uses an inflatable every day.

Back
Top Bottom