Anybody know anything about pool repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerrytheFNG

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I have been walking around with an open water card for about 2 years. I haven't done a thing with it since my final PADI open water qualification dive.

I'm about to retire from the military, and I heard that underwater pool repair could be a pretty good part time gig. I thought, "how hard can it be?", and bought a reg for starters.

I purchased an Apeks ATX200, and I plan to get some tanks and a long hose for work.

Unfortunately, I have no clue how to fix a pool. The local colleges do not teach it, and the pool repair folks in town (Jacksonville, FL) tell me that it's all on-the-job training.

If anyone knows some resources I could use to learn with, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, and be safe.

See ya,
Jerry in Florida

Most non plumbing pool repair work requires draining the pool. You could do cleaning work but take my work for it, its hard work under water.

Tom Vyles CPO

Originally posted by Tom Vyles
Most non plumbing pool repair work requires draining the pool. You could do cleaning work but take my work for it, its hard work under water.

Tom Vyles CPO

What does CPO stand for? Clean Pool Owner?

Its a National Spa and Pool Foundation credential,

Certified Pool Operator. It means I took a 16 hour class and passed an exam, I just taged it to show I at least had some support in my comment.

I did think of one task that is much easier in scuba and thats replacing main covers. Not much demand though.

To answer your question I do believe your best bet would be tag on with a pool company and learn the trade. If you will be doing regualar maintenance I highly recommend the CPO class.

Tom

I have been fixing swimming pools underwater in Southern California for more than 16 years. In todays law suit happy society, and the fact that most new pools cost in excess of $60,000, it is important to have expert training,the right tools, and materials that are proven to be sucessful. Lets not forget liability insurance, contractors licence and more than the basic knowlege of pool construction. To answer the "how hard can it be? question. It is much more involved than grabbing a hammer , long hose and jumping in. Those of us in this business have worked hard to gain the reputation of doing better work than any "pool guy" could ever dream of doing drained. Please research this business before you "jump in"... The Pool Dentist

OK... you guys are TOO slow! :D

WWW.aquatictraininginstitute.com

For $249.00 you can become a CPT (Certified Pool Technician)... it's not legit here in Florida, but I still might take this course!

They even offer online training. Might not be bad for this Dive Instructor to pursue!

Back
Top Bottom