Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, there is some feeding damage done to these teeth and they were found with the whale bones which leaves a prehistoric story to be told. Soon,I'll post some pics of what I found yesterday.

I did two dives yesterday and found this. Two nice meg teeth, the big one is 5.89" I also found a tip of a prehistoric elephant tusk, a chunk of ivory tusk, some smaller and broke teeth, and vertebra. The vis was great, about 4 ft. and the current was very mild. The weather was beautiful, and made for a great day. Planning to do it again on Fri. and Sat.

Maybe now.

Attachments

• DSC01811.jpg
    DSC01811.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01810.jpg
    DSC01810.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 44
Maybe now.

Very nice~!!!!! I am hoping to find a mammoth tooth this year when I go to Venice Beach. I couldn't imagine finding a piece of tusk, let alone the tip. Are these out of the Savannah River or another one?

Have you ever dove in the Savannah? I heard there is supposed to be a lot of stuff in there. I would love to find some civil war relics.

I found 2 mammoth teeth and a mastodon tooth last year during Thanksgiving in Florida during a dive in a small creek. I have dove some parts of the Savannah but the ships travel alot where the fossils are making diving very dangerous. There is lots of history on this river that always makes for an interesting time.

I want a mammoth and a mastodon tooth in my collection. there was a guy on the edisto that jumps out his boat and jokes "I think I am standing on a tooth". Sure enough he pulls up a complete mammoth molar tooth. I seen and held the tooth, it weighed 12 lbs but it was still wet. It was a beautiful chocolate brown color.

Maybe we need to get a dive trip together to Florida, lol

Thanks for posting the photos Skipper. Its all cool but my favorite is that black Meg. Its a good looking one. Nice form, shape, condition, and color. I have looked at the photo two or three times now. That is a very nice find. Its a KEEPER.

Just checked the water temperature in Venice. Its reading 73 degrees F. It has warmed up VERY fast this season.

Water temp in Venice FL

Hey Lee. Just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your posts. I do a lot of fossil diving down here in Venice. In fact, I dove with Joy about a year ago. I've never been up in your neck of the woods but if I do I would love to look you up sometime. Keep the posts coming.

Hello K dady...

I like Venice. I especially like the fossils. AND thank you by the way for the positive comment on my posts.

I hope to get back down to Venice this season. I may come for the Fossil show next month. Joy and I both have a friend in Fossilbabe. You may know her. Joy went down to Venice and dove with her one weekend. Probably the same weekend you were on the boat. The scuba world is actually not as big as people think it is. I met a guy on a boat out of Murrels Inlet SC that knew who I was from Scubaboard. I was amazed. I use to dive the Cooper river almost every weekend. I did that for years. Joy actually prefers blue water and photography. I dont complain. I like the blue water also.

Anytime you wanna dive up this way just give me a shout out.

Here is a video I made last season offshore Boynton Beach Florida. Eighty feet of stunningly beautiful water under the boat. I made it to remind myself what scuba divers do in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom