Anybody dived Cuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dangerousa

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody out there been diving around Cayo Coco on the North coast of Cuba. Booked to go there in Oct 03, so any info will be greatfully received THANKS

bill harvey once bubbled...
As far as i know they don't let many Americans into the country, but i hear that it is great diving and everything is untouched.

Getting in is not an issue. The issue is immigration in the US. They have become much more difficult in the past 2+ years. There is a fine of ~$5000 for visiting Cuba, and the state department has cancelled most of the cultural visas.

I will be going to Cay Lobos, (actually Bahamian territory) which is 11 miles off of Cuba the end of next month.

Keep waiting for the day when the restrictions are lifted! I hear (not that I've tried it or ever would!) that Americans go in & out all the time & Cuban immigration officials do not stamp US passports.

My understanding is that it is not illegal to be in Cuba, but illegal to spend US currency there. However, I am not a legalista, never read the travel restrictions. There was a bill floated briefly last week to end the restrictions, quickly shot down due to recent Cuban crackdown on human rights issues. The article I read was rather amusing in that they ended by stating if the US REALLY wants to punish Fidel, open Cuba up for Spring Break!

dangerousa once bubbled...
Anybody out there been diving around Cayo Coco on the North coast of Cuba. Booked to go there in Oct 03, so any info will be greatfully received THANKS

Dove the south side of Cuba, near Maria La Gorda (sp?) in the Pinar Del Rio region. AWESOME. Was my first liveaboard, so I may be over rating it, but...was great nonetheless.

We went to the westernmost tip of Cuba, but the winds and currents were less than cooperative, so we stayed south. From what i recall, they told us that there were a -lot- of wrecks on the north side that are rarely dived. Since Cuba is far from all but Mexico and Canada, and Americans can't go there, the diving is pristine since few can/will actually dive.

The south of Cuba has generally better diving than the north.
Try places like Hotel Colony on Isla de Juventud, Maria de la Gorda, Trinidad, Cienfuegos, Cayo Largo.
By the way, despite what many Americans are told, the Cubans welcome them just as much as everyone else.
It surprises me though that the so called 'Land of Freedom' is the only country in the world stopping their citizens from traveling anywhere they want.
Cuba is a complicated country to visit, the food is not always the best, the value for your hotel room might not be the best either
but due to the fantastic people, all the great music and dancing - it is still well worth a visit.

A year ago this month I was at the Naval Base there on some Law Enforcement Assignments and had some time off to do some diving between poking fun at the Talibans. It was the most spectacular water I have seen. I'm used the the murky GulfCoast of FL. We went right off the shore and were immediately in 20'-30' of water and a short swim out could put you in 60'-70'. The Base had several sites to dive. You are not allowed to anymore but you can still see on a clear day where there is a shelf just outside the mouth of the Bay where the water turns to a deep indigo blue and I was told the depths dropped to about 1,500'.

You will definetly enjoy the trip. I am due to return there in about a month and will surely go as many times that I can.:D :D

Wildbill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom