Anybody dive the Dominican Republic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
It looks like the Mrs. overruled my idea for vacation and we are heading to the Dominican Republic for a few days. I think we are headed to the Puerto Plata area. Any suggestions? I have dove the Dominican before and it was awesome. Recommendations, excursions, etc... will be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

I was there in December. Stayed at the Bahía Príncipe San Juan

Its an All-inclusive 4 star resort. Very family oriented. Its around an 1hr east of Puerto Plata.

The resort was wonderful, clean...but for two single guys on the prowl... :eyebrow:

But because of being an all inclusive, you are not immersed in their culture. (Some people would like that, others wouldn't)

The diving is done through Gri-Gri divers in Rio San Juan.

I found the people at the dive shop friendly and nice.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Dive Sherpa
I hope that this message is not too late.

If you will stay at Puerto Plata avoid diving in the area, is not worthy . Sosua use to be a beatiful place but reef is dead now.

Rio San Juan is not far and a dive site called Las 7 Colinas is a beatiful reef that is big enough for 2-3 different dives, usually very good vis and small fishes .

Further east at the end of the Samana peninsula is the small town of Las Galeras . I recomend you this place as one of the best spots for diving and beatiful non crowded beaches . Actually there is only one small dive center , is new and is owned-operated by a couple of spaniards. Hotel Club Bonito is a good place to stay ( you can search for their web page 0

If you are very much in to cave diving , we have a lot of them here and i can recommend you to contact Denis at Golden Arrow www.cavediving.com.do .Also you can buy a book ( in spanish ) about the local caves www.espeleobuceo-hispaniola.com

Isla Catalina at the southern east part of the country have a beatiful not too deep wall and nearby in Bayahibe is a good big wreck and some good low profile reefs.

Best diving is around Pedernales area but get there is an adventure because is far away and pretty wild .

Hope that this info can help you , if you need more you can contact me at jaalvarez@verizon.net.do

Good luck and happy diving

El buzo

Divesherpa:
It looks like the Mrs. overruled my idea for vacation and we are heading to the Dominican Republic for a few days. I think we are headed to the Puerto Plata area. Any suggestions? I have dove the Dominican before and it was awesome. Recommendations, excursions, etc... will be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

DS, we went in August 2003 to the La Romana/Bayahibe area. We stayed at the Iberostar in Bayahibe and dove with ScubaFun. Scubafun is in the town not the resort but they came and picked us up and were a lot of fun, good op. The Iberostar was a good value for ~$185/nt for 2 of us. Sorry, no info on Puerto Plata. And not a lot of norteamericanos there but lots of nice folks. Enjoy.

Dive Sherpa
I hope that this message is not too late.

If you will stay at Puerto Plata avoid diving in the area, is not worthy . Sosua use to be a beatiful place but reef is dead now.

Rio San Juan is not far and a dive site called Las 7 Colinas is a beatiful reef that is big enough for 2-3 different dives, usually very good vis and small fishes .

Further east at the end of the Samana peninsula is the small town of Las Galeras . I recomend you this place as one of the best spots for diving and beatiful non crowded beaches . Actually there is only one small dive center , is new and is owned-operated by a couple of spaniards. Hotel Club Bonito is a good place to stay ( you can search for their web page 0

If you are very much in to cave diving , we have a lot of them here and i can recommend you to contact Denis at Golden Arrow Golden Arrow Technical Diving Center .Also you can buy a book ( in spanish ) about the local caves www.espeleobuceo-hispaniola.com

Isla Catalina at the southern east part of the country have a beatiful not too deep wall and nearby in Bayahibe is a good big wreck and some good low profile reefs.

Best diving is around Pedernales area but get there is an adventure because is far away and pretty wild .

Hope that this info can help you , if you need more you can contact me at jaalvarez@verizon.net.do

Good luck and happy diving

El buzo
Pedernales? Check this out!
YouTube - Pedernales 2008

Probably to late for Divesherpa but might be useful to some other members. We lived in Cabarete, about 30 minutes from Puerta Plata for more then 2 years and most of my dives we did in Sosua Bay, but my favorite dive on the north shore was in Dudu lake - fresh water cave dive.
One day we went for a trip to La Romana, discovered Bayahibe and diving in the area, fell in love with it and 3 month later we moved. I like diving here much more then Puerto Plata area, calm water, great visibility, more stuff to see.

Hi Jamie: went there last week, stayed 10 days, dove only in caves and reefs at the caribbean side: La Romana and Bayahibe. When talking with locals said me that Puerto Plata is becoming unsafe due ilegal immigration and drug problems, don´t have diving info. Aso heard it has well preserved natural areas, with independent tourism, instead of the luxury hotels and "touristic industry" at Bavaro and Punta Cana. P. Plata is rather far away from the classic excursions to Catalina and Saona islands, but surely you´ll know nice places. Find out about Samaná and the water falls, you´ll also be near of Silver Banks and maybe could encounter some whales.
Have a nice time
B. rgds.

QUOTE=Divesherpa;1059221]It looks like the Mrs. overruled my idea for vacation and we are heading to the Dominican Republic for a few days. I think we are headed to the Puerto Plata area. Any suggestions? I have dove the Dominican before and it was awesome. Recommendations, excursions, etc... will be greatly appreciated.

Jamie[/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom