any word on when Grand Cayman will reopen for tourists?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdwho

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about a mid January trip...I had heard that an announcement might be made at the end of October/beginning of November, but I haven't been able to find out anything.

sdwho

I haven't heard anything yet about when they might reopen. I am supposed to visit Grand Caymen in December, while on a cruise. I called Princess to ask them about that port. As of now it is still on the iteniary. I am supposed to dive, my husband golf, and kids and Mom snorkel. We'll see....

They are beginning to accept cruise ships this month, but they're limiting them to two per day at present.

Here's an update I got from Vacations to Go cruise newsletter:
Hurricane Ivan scored a near direct hit on Grand Cayman back on September 12, damaging most homes and businesses, knocking out power and phones, contaminating water and fuel supplies and bringing tourism--vital to the island's economy--to a complete halt. For a while, four feet of water covered the entire width of the island at famous Seven Mile Beach, and Grand Cayman was actually two islands. If you've ever flown into Grand Cayman, you may be able to visualize the airport area covered by the sea, waves rolling down the runway. It was indeed a terrifying and traumatic experience for every resident.

I'm happy to report that while repairs and reconstruction are ongoing, conditions have improved sufficiently to allow cruise lines to return. The Grand Cayman Port Authority will allow up to two ships per day to call for the first week of November, gradually increasing thereafter, and has released an official schedule of port calls for November 1-13. Click here to see their list.

Grand Cayman is one of the most popular cruise destinations in the world, and both cruise passengers and Caymanians are anxious to see port calls resume. There is no word yet as to which shore excursions will be available on these early cruises, but the island's shops and main attractions are coming back online. The world-famous reefs are intact, with most coral in excellent shape and plenty of sea life, though some sport a new look due to shifted sand. Both Stingray City locations--the shallow sandbar area where it is possible to stand and the deeper area--were unaffected, and stingrays still troll the clear water looking for tourists and their squid handouts. The Turtle Farm sustained minor damage, but no turtles were hurt. And Seven Mile Beach is in great shape and actually gained sand in some places.

It will take many months to repair the more than $1 billion in damage, and the defoliated island will have a different look for awhile, but the first cruise passengers setting foot on shore there this week will be warmly welcomed, I am certain. For a list of cruises scheduled to visit Grand Cayman in the first 3 months of 2005, click here.

JaySmart Diver:
Thanks for the link. My ship was supposed to go into Cayman the end of Novemeber. Let me know if you see a link for that week. Thx!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom