Any winter diving in NJ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

Just curious to know if NJ has any charters during winter season or does everything packs up until next summer? If yes then what kind of dive conditions (viz, temperature) can we expect during winter?

Thanks -

Sinbad

Hello:

Just curious to know if NJ has any charters during winter season or does everything packs up until next summer? If yes then what kind of dive conditions (viz, temperature) can we expect during winter?

Thanks -

Sinbad

Several boats run pretty much year round, weather dependent. Viz can vary greatly from one day to the nextbyear-round, but does not vary by season per se. Water is cold, air/wind is colder. Typically inshore stuff, one and run.

Check with Dan Wright as I know he dives year 'round up there and I know he's not the only one.

There a couple of boats that stay in, like the Sea Lion Atlantic Wreck Diving and you may want to check on Welcome to NJDive.com for others. Vis varies, the water will drop to chilly - low 50's to high 40's. But the diving can be quite nice if not invigorating. Be prepared to be in the elements all day and pack a lunch, may I suggest a thermos full of hot soup!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom