Any Vancouver Islanders want to dive this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Headed off to Seattle for the weekend. But would love to dive next week.

Have a great weekend...

NavyDoll

I ended up going to Ogden Point this morning. We entered at the 4th dive flag then swam around the corner. I kept my eyes open for wolf eels but unfortunatly I did not see any. I noticed that there are a lot more scallops further out along the breakwater. There were a few large lingcod including one that I nearly swam into after shifting some kelp. We managed to swim back to the second flag despite the outgoing tide and exited the water.

I'm still ready to go dive on Sunday or even a dive later tonight if anyone is interested.

SeanQ:
I ended up going to Ogden Point this morning. We entered at the 4th dive flag then swam around the corner. I kept my eyes open for wolf eels but unfortunatly I did not see any. I noticed that there are a lot more scallops further out along the breakwater. There were a few large lingcod including one that I nearly swam into after shifting some kelp. We managed to swim back to the second flag despite the outgoing tide and exited the water.

I'm still ready to go dive on Sunday or even a dive later tonight if anyone is interested.
You guys should come north some weekend. Vis at Madrona point was awesome today.

I dove Willis Point this morning. Horizontal vis at 60ft was ~25 ft while vertical even was much better. There were plenty of "chunky things" but at least it wasn't soup.

We decided to swim to the right, towards Brentwood Bay. After about 5 minutes I came upon what appeared to be a Long-clawed Squat Lobster on an outcropping. It must have gotten tired of watching me watch it because it took off and descended to a sloping sandy area below me. I followed it down a feet feet and then noticed that the bottom was covered with these guys. There was easily a thousand of them; probably more.

Further down we came upon a GPO den inside of a horizontal crack in the wall. (GPO crack den... hehe..) It wasn't moving and looked rather pale. On the return trip we noticed what appeared to be hatched eggs by the back door. I'm guessing the GPO we saw was a dead female.

Further past the octopus den I found what appeared to be an discarded glass bottle. I picked it up and discovered it was a fairly recent addition to landscape since the Corona label wasn't scratched and the bottle had no inhabitants. Looking up, we were able to see the faint outline of a moored boat. Bottles can make a fine home for some creatures; however, Willis Point isn't a garbage dump. We filled the thing with air and let Polaris, no doubt providing an interesting drinking story for the boat's occupants.

Anyways, it was a pretty good weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom