any tricks to buff out a scratch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I left my camera housing on the camera table, and returned to find a tiny scratch on the housing's lens. Before I pay $91 to have Olympus repair it, does anyone know a trick to buff out a scratch? It's deep enough that there's a discenable color change in the lens, and it does appear in topside photos.

Help oh you clever camera wizards!

Thanks,
Eileen

Is the lens acrylic or glass?

You might want to try these products from Micro-Surface Seem to work pretty well!

I seem to remember that Mo2vation had some problems awhile ago and used this stuff. Can't remember for sure, you might want to PM him and check it out.

yes, ditto. Mine a scratch and no problem. mo2vation did some bold stuff with his ports... ask him if you are determined to do it. he was very successful.

The housing lens appears to be glass, but could be acrylic. Any way to tell?

I'll PM mo2vation and will check out the Micro-surface link.

Thanks tons!

Eileen

eab:
I left my camera housing on the camera table, and returned to find a tiny scratch on the housing's lens. Before I pay $91 to have Olympus repair it, does anyone know a trick to buff out a scratch? It's deep enough that there's a discenable color change in the lens, and it does appear in topside photos.

Help oh you clever camera wizards!

Thanks,
Eileen

First verify you have an issue UW. Topside is no indication.

You can make a problem worst by messing with it.

I have a scratch on mine that shows up above water. Below? No problems. Check it before you try and play amateur lens doc.

Topside is somewhat of an issue as I do snap photos of the dive site/boat, students prepping gear, etc., while the camera is in the housing. So I would like to be scratch free.

I'll test it out in the pool next class and see if the scratch disappears underwater. From initial tests in the sink, it looks like it will.

The question is .. which will bother me more: a $91 repair, or the inability to take topside photos while the camera is housed?

Votes anyone?

Thanks again for the comments/suggestions.

Eileen

I vote for fixing it. I'm with you I need the topside shots in the housing. Although post dive I normally do pull the camera out of the housing.

PS. I was at our favorite dive site (Nubble) today. The visibility was not very good (20' seas).

Back
Top Bottom