Any tips for a noobie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bratface, I also hope that I will be distracted by the aquatic life. can you tell me about how you become more comfortable with diving?

You become more comfortable with diving by doing it!

Do you remember when you learned to drive a car? Everything had to be processed consciously -- I-need-to-turn-left-turn-signal-on-and-brake-and-look-right . . . A few years later, you saw your intersection, hit the turn signal, slowed, glanced right and turned, probably while continuing your conversation with your passenger, and thought nothing of it. It's the same way with diving. There are a lot of things to get used to -- wearing a mask, breathing through a regulator, wearing exposure protection, not to mention hauling heavy dive gear in and out of the water or on and off boats. But after a while, you just don't have to think about it any more. Notice yourself going up a bit -- grab your inflator and vent, with an absolute minimum of conscious thought.

Give yourself some room to be a beginner. Beginning at anything is awkward. I remember looking at the skiers on the black slopes and thinking that the gulf between my clumsy slowplow and their absolute grace was impossible to bridge, but I was wrong. Give yourself permission to LEARN to do this, and you will.

I would agree with most of these replies, two wetsuits would make me feel uncomfortable because it would be uncomfortable. The thing that I would be concerned with is the sore ribs / breathing. This may sound like a dumb question, but did you have a female BCD on? I ask because I have seen an immediate response to someone putting on a BCD that did not fit right. Maybe a combination of both two wetsuits and a BCD that was tight in the chest area. If all is right and you still have trouble breathing, please keep it in the pool until you feel comfortable with it. Good luck and hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom