Any Thoughts on this Inexpensive River Toy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not an expert but- The Yamaha or Sea Doo will have a much higher freeboard, a bit more forgiving in areas where you can expect to encounter sizeable wakes. Not that anyone on the river would ever make a close pass just to splash another boat.

I've done a few recoveries (and my buddy has done dozens) on that type of boat- the big engine in the back almost guarantees that if you back down hard on the throttle your own wake will bury the back end.

I think you would enjoy the Sea-Doo or Yammie much more. At that age, parts may be hard to come by as well as finding someone that will work on an older unit. I've also seen jet boats like that in action, not sure you really want to ski behind it.

those are great for going fast on glass. unless you plan on boating early in the morning or late in the day, i would look for something else. as mentioned they are not good to ski behind, are heavy in the rear and submarine into waves. you almost have to constantly feather the throttle to keep the bow pointed up when the water picks up

brett

Thanks, guys.

Yea, I don't really want to be going that fast with you-know-who

and I need something the kids will be less likely to kill themselves on, the river can get very crazy

There are some nice jet boats out there right now for under ten.

Rent 'em as you need 'em. Way mo' bettah than owniing them.

I grew up with jet Boats in New Zealand - Lots of fun but really need to use them where they excel - rivers and lakes. They can take you up a river where prop drives cannot.

I would not be too concerned about their ability in waves - This is more a function of the hull. The weight of an inboard engine with jet drive is really no different than the weight of an inboard with stern drive. Again if the hull is correctly sized, there should be no issue with the weight of the stern or how the bow is pointing.

The boat shown is definitely a lake boat and lots of fun. I like the idea of using a jet for a ski boat if only to minimize the danger of a prop.

Last edited:
jet for a ski boat if only to minimize the danger of a prop.

yea, me too. the Colorado gets crowded (of course striking someone could still kill them)

I wonder if the Sea Doo or the Yamahas are more reliable?

Sea Doo and Yamaha are both pretty reliable. I'd say find one that will best suit your needs as far as size, layout, storage and horsepower. If used, be sure to sea trial it before purchase. You could also check around on some boating forums for more specific info. Good luck and have fun!!

Well, you know we got the bug. The Colorado is so clean and you can go up river to many stunning lakes (Havasu and Mohave) We took this one out for a trial and picked it up. Pretty fun to wakeboard behind.

I've never seen the steam cooled pipes.

It steers great at 70 mph but boy what a toad at slow speeds, no steering whatsoever

I think it goes 90 but I haven't been brave enough for that yet. It is VERY fugly

boatatcatherineslanding-1.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom