Any suggestions for diving in/near Melbourne?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shokaveli

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys so I will be in Melbourne from Jan 6th to about the 19th and was really wanting to go diving while Im there. I don't have a lot of time so I was thinking I would save some money as well and instead of going to Cairns and the barrier reef that I could maybe find some great sites near the place I will be staying at. Im a new diver and just recently got my certification but I want to get the most out of my Aussie diving experience. I'd much rather stay in the southern area but if its just worth it to pay the extra money and dive elsewhere in Australia then I am open for that as well (perhaps diving in Melbourne is a horrible idea?)....

I will also be going to New Zealand and was considering the Poor Knights for diving...maybe that would be the best option?

any advice/suggestions? Thanks!

Dive the Poor Knights, it is brilliant. Melbourne is also good, but nothing like PK. Cairns is a long way from Melbourne, so a day gone travelling each way basically, as well as a day after diving, means you need 5 days just to do two days diving.

Hi Mate,

Since no one has replied though I may help out.

There is one major charter service that departs from either Portsea or Queenscliff they are called Dive Victoria.

Most of the diving in Melbourne is conducted in Port Phillip Heads or just outside the heads in Ships Graveyard.

The majority of our diving is during Slack Water in-between a flooding and ebb tide. Other wise it will be a drift dive or outside the heads.

You dont need a buddy to dive in Melbourne, just ring dive Vic book yourself on a boat and they will buddy you up with someone.

Most of the divers are all very experienced.

Diving in the heads is mostly Wall Diving from depths from 18 - 60+ meters, fantastic diving can be challenging at times.

Diving in Melbourne is fantastic and is a great experience.

Hope you have a great time.

Cheers

Heaps of dive sites on the Mornington peninsula, and around port Philip heads, Academy of scuba have a good list of them on their website, they are friendly at the shop and allow casuals on their club dives for around $15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome this is great info I really appreciate the feedback! So if it came down to diving in Melbourne or Poor Knights/NZ which would you guys choose (assuming you have been to both)?

Most of Melbourne diving is also shore based, under piers and shallow reefs.

If you dive under the pier at Flinders you'll probably see lots of weedy seadragons. Highly recommended, even though it is a super easy dive. BTW, I recommend the people at Academy of Scuba (shops in Rye and Glen Iris) for equipment rental.

Back
Top Bottom