Any sky divers here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have sky dived for quite a while. Once my son was 12, I leaned more to SCUBA so I can spend the time with him. It is hard to do both. To be good at something requires time and practice.
Once my son is 18 maybe I will start jumping again with him. He does good in the wind tunnel.

Check with your friend about the injuries at Lodi, more people are injured or die, doing hook turns to close to the ground, than the actual parachute malfunctioning.

Skydiving, like Scuba diving, is as safe as you make it!

I have been a certified diver for over 34 years and a licensed master skydiver (D21625) for over 13 years and I can honestly say that each of the sports is unique to itself. I've enjoyed both and yes I can tell you that both are expensive to enjoy. I don't think I would choose one over the other, I tend to waffel back and forth between them, dive and jump when the mood hits me. Skydiving is like SCUBA it is a self regulating sport and you do not have to have a license issued by USPA (United States Parachute Association) to jump..... BUT.... you will have a hard time finding a drop zone where you can jump if you don't have a license (eperienced jumper I mean not a student). Buying skydiving gear is like buying SCUBA gear, there are a lot of different types to pick from, main chutes, reserves, harness containers, altimiters, jump suits, helmets, and a whole lot of accessories. If you were to buy new you are looking at approximately $1,200.00 for a main, $1,000.00 for a reserve, $800.00 to $1,500.00 for a container, $250.00 for a jumpsuit, $175.00 for an altimiter, $65.00 protec helmet and this is bare bones .... total estimate for new gear $4,990.00 not including tax. Remember this is a really rough estimate. You can pick up used gear for about $2,000.00 for a full rig (container,main and reserve). Now if you want a AAd (automatic activation device) like a cypress you will put out another $1,200.00, an AAD is like a computer that takes a reading several times a second and determins your altitude and fall rate. IF you are falling too fast and go to low then it automaticaly deploys your reserve. A normal jump price to 13,500 - 14,500 is normally around $28.00 bucks.
SCUBA gear is pretty much the same. Drop me a pm if you need any specific info. Skydiving gear also has one thing that SCUBA dosen't, you can increase the thrill and danger level by the design of your main parachute. A student flys a pickup truck, slow and easy to fly. I fly a muscle car of parachutes.. fast, unforgiving and very, very, dangerous if you don't pay attention.

Here is the list of things that can kill you, in order of deaths recorded per hour of activity:

1) skydiving
2) private aviation
3) automobile and boat racing
4) scuba

Your life insurance company may want to know this!

One out of 4 is plenty, for me.

Here is the list of things that can kill you, in order of deaths recorded per hour of activity:

1) skydiving
2) private aviation
4) scuba

Well, we all have to die sometime. I'd rather die doing something I enjoy than from cancer 40 years or so down the road.

I have been a certified diver for over 34 years and a licensed master skydiver (D21625) for over 13 years and I can honestly say that each of the sports is unique to itself. I've enjoyed both and yes I can tell you that both are expensive to enjoy. I don't think I would choose one over the other, I tend to waffel back and forth between them, dive and jump when the mood hits me. Skydiving is like SCUBA it is a self regulating sport and you do not have to have a license issued by USPA (United States Parachute Association) to jump..... BUT.... you will have a hard time finding a drop zone where you can jump if you don't have a license (eperienced jumper I mean not a student). Buying skydiving gear is like buying SCUBA gear, there are a lot of different types to pick from, main chutes, reserves, harness containers, altimiters, jump suits, helmets, and a whole lot of accessories. If you were to buy new you are looking at approximately $1,200.00 for a main, $1,000.00 for a reserve, $800.00 to $1,500.00 for a container, $250.00 for a jumpsuit, $175.00 for an altimiter, $65.00 protec helmet and this is bare bones .... total estimate for new gear $4,990.00 not including tax. Remember this is a really rough estimate. You can pick up used gear for about $2,000.00 for a full rig (container,main and reserve). Now if you want a AAd (automatic activation device) like a cypress you will put out another $1,200.00, an AAD is like a computer that takes a reading several times a second and determins your altitude and fall rate. IF you are falling too fast and go to low then it automaticaly deploys your reserve. A normal jump price to 13,500 - 14,500 is normally around $28.00 bucks.
SCUBA gear is pretty much the same. Drop me a pm if you need any specific info. Skydiving gear also has one thing that SCUBA dosen't, you can increase the thrill and danger level by the design of your main parachute. A student flys a pickup truck, slow and easy to fly. I fly a muscle car of parachutes.. fast, unforgiving and very, very, dangerous if you don't pay attention.

PM sent.

1) skydiving
2) private aviation
4) scuba

I've done all 4. Better NOT tell my insurance company. :ssst::rofl3:

1) skydiving
2) private aviation
4) scuba

Hmmm - Numbers 1, 2, 3 & 4 for me.

D-8626 (skydiving) Jumpmaster and Pro rated

Commercial ASEL, AMEL, Instrument Airplane, Glider, Balloon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom