Any recommendations on using the Octomask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lonestardiver#

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
417oB9195vL.jpg

Anyone have good luck with using the mask mount for the Go Pro?

Don't like these. They tend to generate huge files of unwatchable, jiggly, poorly framed video clips. I guess it's good if a whale shark swims by while you are using both hands for something else...

I would not think it is such a great idea because any little movement when filming seems to create very shaky video for me.

But I also looked at the reviews on the dive right in scuba website and there are 9 positive reviews. Mask with Gopro Mount - Dive Right in Scuba

I also found this Intova Face Mask Mount for Camera and Underwater Housing FMMT
Which might be a cheap way to see if you like how the video comes out before spending $80.

Hopefully someone who has used one will have some comments.

In the right conditions with good lighting the GoPro can produce professional quality video. The biggest difference between professional video and those that are hard to watch is camera movement. The majority of underwater videos on the internet look like they were shot by someone suffering from Parkinson's. Placing a camera on your head or wrist is a sure fire way of hearing groans from your audience. If you have a tripod, use it. If not, use a two handle tray and watch your viewfinder. Even the slightest camera movement is magnified on a larger screen. There is enough movement underwater by the inhabitants. Let them make the scene. Don't chase them or shoot video of diver's fins while you follow them. Zzzzzzzzzzz...Watch a lot of TV and films and make note of how scenes are shot.
[vimeo]95933119[/vimeo]
Excellent video using hand held cameras

Way too much camera movement

In the right conditions with good lighting the GoPro can produce professional quality video.

Absolutely. I have been amazed at the quality of the GoPro. One of my dive buddies is an instructor and a professional UW videographer who recently put together a new class on the GoPro which is now an official PADI specialty. Here is some of his work:

Yea, made my own tray and I THOUGHT I was doing well with camera movement. Watched it at home.. pretty bad.. The only time the video came out well was when a turtle was swimming by fast!

How good or bad any video made with a mask mounted GoPro will depend on the diver. Some divers are calm & relaxed in the water and can make some pretty damn good video with a GoPro on their mask, some are jittery and move around way too much to make the video watchable. I'm pretty calm in the water, and most of my video comes out good using this kind of system. I actually find myself being more calm when I'm filming, which makes for a better dive.

Yea, made my own tray and I THOUGHT I was doing well with camera movement. Watched it at home.. pretty bad.. The only time the video came out well was when a turtle was swimming by fast!

We found this to be the best way to stabilize the video. Mounting it on top of a $4000 Equinox video housing seems to provide a pretty solid foundation for the GoPro...

housing.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom