Any recommendations on camera, housing, flash/strobe, without breaking the bank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bartonw

New
Reaction score
I'm going on a diving vacation this October, and this time I want to get some decent photos. I'd like to know what you would recommend for a quality camera/housing combo, and maybe a flash/strobe as well. Cost is a concern, and ideally I'd like to spend less than $700 (or as little as possible but still have good gear). Thanks!

If you're looking at $700 your quality is, quite bluntly, going to be limited. You might get something like I got (Sealife DC1200) or another point and shoot with "underwater" settings for that price with a single strobe but they all have limitations. Figure out what is important to you regarding your shots and start limiting your options based on budget and features you think are important.

That said, I find the pictures from my camera are more than adequate to show what want and capture memories and occasionally they are even quite good. The limitations so far have been me, not the camera.

cannon g12 with cannon housing or olympus EZ1 with olympus housing are probably your best bet

The flash/strobe addition is where your expectations get unrealistic. You could probably get a good condition used S90 w/ Canon housing in the sub-$400 range (or new S95 in in the $550 range) but the lowest level of flash that would be in the "keeper" realm would be either the YS-01 or the S2000 and by the time you buy either of those plus a cable and a tray/arm set you have easily added another $650 to your total. I would suggest getting the best camera/housing combo you can afford for now and save getting a flash for the next trip.

As per the above comments, you'll struggle to get everything for that price, unless you go second hand. Do you already own a camera that could be housed, to save on some of the outlay?

Back
Top Bottom