Any recommendations for dive destination with short boat rides to good locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattK81

New
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for my next dive trip in the Caribbean this fall. My wife stays on shore while I go dive, so I prefer short boat trips where I can be back by lunchtime. We have done Roatan, Grand Turk, and Belize, but would like to try someplace new. Would also prefer a small resort directly on a beach. Thanks!

Bonaire is full of shore dives so you are on your own time, very laid back and relaxing with great dives. Also, Los Cabo, short rides to several good dive sites, the great sites are a bit longer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you guys do the rest of the day? Put another way, how important are the following:

1.) Beaches.
2.) Shopping.
3.) Lots of restaurants.
4.) Rainforest hiking.
5.) Bars/Clubs/'Night Life.'
6.) Snorkeling.

Richard.

The Cayman sister islands (Little Cayman and Cayman Brac) have short boat rides to the reefs but there isn't a lot of topside attractions (not much shopping, restaurants, night life, tourist venues). The things they do offer include: beaches, beautiful reefs, relaxation, pool, food, nature, alcohol, socialization, walking, spa services, bicycle ridding, etc.)

But some of the places you've listed (like Roatan and Grand Turk) don't have many topside attractions either, so the Cayman sister islands may be just what you are looking for!

Last edited:
Consider St Croix. The boat rides are 10 to 15 minutes to some great walls. Some operators (SCUBA and Dive Experience) drop you off right in town just steps from the dive shop and lunch spots. If you want tech then stick with SCUBA.

Reggie in Midland, NC

Sand Dollar on Bonaire is directly on the water, not too large and residents/guests are quite friendly from my experience. While not too much sand for a beach, it is a nice place to relax and read for her while you dive. You can run your own schedule based on who you dive with for partners. Bari Reef right in front of Sand Dollar is very nice diving. Then you can have breakfast and lunch with the wife and still get in 2 morning dives. If you like blenny's and frogfish, they have both of them there along with the usual suspects. Find out more at Bonairetalk.com. Its a big enough island for the 2 of you to explore when you finish diving but not so large that you cannot see most all of it in a week. Two weeks is even better, if you have the time.

St. Croix is great. I've travelled the Caribbean and this is my home, now. Diving is great, turtles, seahorses, reef, wrecks, the famous Frederiksted Pier (day and night), bioluminecence, wall dives, shore dives and boat dives are about 10 minutes for most sites.

What about Curaçao? No boat rides at all down here!
Saves you a lot of money on boat rides for starters!

The luxury of Shore diving remote and pristine beaches with awesome reefs in small groups.
We provide Personalized experiences for a sharp price

Check it out!
Scuba

Kind Underwater Regards,

Back
Top Bottom